So, tell me your theories on stealing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I'm betting your DD's F6 is excellent, which is a critical part of the equation. Former F6 on my DD's team ('21 grad) had spectacular hands for receiving and tagging. They got a lot of outs together. The current crop of F6s on the team aren't at the same level, and SB attempts have been a lot more successful. DD is frustrated.
Yes, F6 is outright tremendous! However, no matter what, the ball has to get to the right spot. Pretty much anything outside a 2'x3' box right in front of the bag is going to be a tough out. I haven't seen a slow baserunner yet!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
the opposite is true. runner on 2nd doesnt have to run.

Ummm...wut? If the runner is stealing 2B, that means they would need to return to 1B if the ball is caught. A caught line drive by anyone but F7 is probably an easy double-off.

EDIT: I see now that we are talking about 2 different things. My mistake.

Oct 14, 2019
yep. i was thinking about the runner already being there. but the hit and run i was talking about in the next scenario would certainly open up that possibility. would probably lean toward bunting up the first base line on the hit and run.

Jun 8, 2016
If MI are taught correctly and the MI are athletic enough they are staying put until they are sure the ball isn’t hit. The only hole would be from the MI squeezing the middle some. This is a difference with baseball where you typically vacate your position as soon as the runner is going hence more hit and runs (or there used to be at least..)

Mar 10, 2020
Stealing is not advised unless you are supper efficient at it. I forget what the percentage you need to steal at (80%?) but if you can't steal at that rate you are wasting outs.

Additionally the value you are getting for stealing a base is really small. It was something like you needed 4 stolen bases to expect one additional run.
As spoken by a coach with no running speed on his roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413