Question about stealing home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2022
My daughter's high school team was playing a team that runs the bases aggressively. After an error in the outfield, the batter makes it to 3rd base. In the video, it appears to me that the ball is in the circle with the batter stopped on 3rd base. The batter then leaves 3rd base on the coach's instruction and heads home while no one is looking. She's called safe at home. When the catcher questions the umpire that the ball was in the circle, blue tells her that the pitcher wasn't in the circle when the batter left the base (clearly that's not the case, but there's no instant replay). The game continues and ends up being a blowout. Since then I've asked other umpires their opinion on the play. One told me that because the catcher was not in her position, the batter is free to steal home. Another told me that the video is too blurry to see what happened. Another told me that the batter should've been called out. So who's right - the coach who told her player to steal home while the ball was in the circle or me who believes the batter should've been called out?

Thanks

Apr 20, 2015
You probably had to be there but it looks like the batter was still on the bag while the pitcher was in the circle with the ball which would put the look back rule into effect. She also appears to have hesitated once she stepped off the bag, probably confused at what her coach was telling her, but also would violate the rule. 100% the catcher has nothing to do with the rule. Likely umpire just didn’t see it and since you can’t call what you don’t see he spoke what would have been correct that the when she left the bag the pitcher was not in the circle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Pitcher had ball in circle. The catcher could be doing cartwheels in the outfield at this time and it wouldn't make any difference.

The runner should be out unless she was not actually touching third. I guess I can't say with 100% certainty the runner is touching the base and not standing next to it, but it looks like she was on the base.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It really doesn’t matter who is right. The ump called her safe and explained that in his view the pitcher wasn’t in the circle. That’s the answer which sounds like he understands the rule, he just didn’t see it the way it looks in the video. You can ask 100 umps it won’t change the call

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Likely umpire just didn’t see it and since you can’t call what you don’t see he spoke what would have been correct that the when she left the bag the pitcher was not in the circle

Umpire very smartly said the exact right thing to prevent any real arguments, though it sure looks like he should've seen it.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It really doesn’t matter who is right. The ump called her safe and explained that in his view the pitcher wasn’t in the circle. That’s the answer which sounds like he understands the rule, he just didn’t see it the way it looks in the video. You can ask 100 umps it won’t change the call

The OP was asking for what the call should've been. Responses like this are so utterly worthless. Literally everybody knows that whatever the umpire "sees" goes, but that is useless in teaching people what the call should have been so they fully understand the rules. It's not about changing the call. It's about learning what the call should've been and growing one's personal knowledge about the game.

Maybe next time the OP will have an umpire that doesn't quite understand the rule as well, but now they understand it better so they can actually help get the call corrected.

Apr 17, 2019
So question about the look back rule in this case- (not arguing about the umpire's call. Just seeking clarification or opinions.) Right before the runner arrives at home, pitcher brings up the arm and appears to prepare to throw before thinking better of it. Is that enough to take the look back rule off?

Jan 22, 2011
By rule she should of been called out since she was stopped on the base when the ball was in the circle. Looks like:
1) Umpires weren't paying attention and missed it.
2) Base coach took advantage of both catcher and pitcher turning their backs on the runner on 3B.

My understanding is an umpire can only call what they see and shouldn't be guessing on what happened if they miss the play. In 10u my DD lost a bracket game because the other coach (who also was the tournament director) convinced the umpire our runner took off after the pitcher was in the circle when the pitcher was two to three steps outside the circle when our runner took off. Umpires weren't paying attention and guessed.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
So question about the look back rule in this case- (not arguing about the umpire's call. Just seeking clarification or opinions.) Right before the runner arrives at home, pitcher brings up the arm and appears to prepare to throw before thinking better of it. Is that enough to take the look back rule off?

The rule had already been violated. It should have been a dead ball out as soon as the runner left the base.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying