Should a player be calling out another player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
DD played on a team for a few years where the AC's daughter was the best player on the field (she's still an elite player), As best as I can guess, he had a conversation with her at some point about being a leader on the field, taking charge, etc. At mid-season, she began barking at everyone who made a bad play or took a bad swing -- probably an 11-year-old idea about what a leader should be. Coming from someone who made everything look easy, it rubbed a lot of girls on the team the wrong way.

I think the answer to the OP is that it's all a matter of approach. If the 2B in this instance can make it positive, then she should talk to the 1B. Something as simple as saying, "I've got your back there, you can worry about covering the bag" is a better approach than yelling "It's your job to cover first base!" That may be expecting too much at a younger age level.

More important, as others have said, is that there needs to be better on-field communication. There shouldn't be any doubt about who is covering because someone should be calling for the ball. If they're not doing that, or not recognizing who has the final say, that's on the coach.

Jul 16, 2019
That is what she is struggling with. There are other reasons why it makes sense to stay with the organization, even if this coach is not dealing with this problem. She is hoping changes will be made to the team after August tryouts. She is planning on trying out for other teams, just in case.
For tryouts, the coach may be seeing how everyone reacts on their own. I can't imagine any coach allowing 1B to not cover on what will be easy outs. If 2B was my DD, I would advise her to talk to the 1B about coverage and etc. (Praise in public, correct in private) It will be a sign of leadership and ownership in 2B to handle in this manner.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm not a big fan of a player coaching something the coaches aren't stressing. I would have no problem asking the coach if we can address the situation but you can really start going downhill quick if people are determining on their own how a team should play.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
No yelling required 1B and 2B need to communicate and learn what the range for each is as far as balls hit to the right side. There isn't a right and a wrong especially if they aren't sure the other can get to the ball it just takes a little time and effort.
This thread is interesting...I had the opposite issue this weekend. Very good 2B and the 1B very good as well. All three aggressive players.

1B moves towards the ball, quits IMHO, and goes to bag. 2B got ball and threw to 1B and we got the out...barely. 3rd out of inning. As they came into dugout I stopped 1B and told her not to quit on a play...she's got the skills to get that ball. She said "OH player X said she had it so I let her get it and I went to bag". Perfect. thanks ladies!! I'll go back and just be quiet now. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardSwinson