Slower 1st Baseman obstructing quicker batter-runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
10U rec tourney game, batter grounds one to the first baseman. 1st baseman fields it, then turns and runs toward 1st base on the baseline. She is not fleet of foot, so the batter-runner catches up to her and her only option is to go around her. She does veer to the side a little in hope of passing, but 1st baseman still reaches the base first for the out. Could this be called obstruction?
Conversely, had batter-runner clipped the first baseman while trying to pass and caused her to fall, would this be interference?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
10U rec tourney game, batter grounds one to the first baseman. 1st baseman fields it, then turns and runs toward 1st base on the baseline. She is not fleet of foot, so the batter-runner catches up to her and her only option is to go around her. She does veer to the side a little in hope of passing, but 1st baseman still reaches the base first for the out. Could this be called obstruction?
Conversely, had batter-runner clipped the first baseman while trying to pass and caused her to fall, would this be interference?

A fielder who possesses the ball cannot be called for obstruction.

Yes, if the runner causes the fielder with possession of the ball to fall by running into her, that could definitely be interference.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
A fielder who possesses the ball cannot be called for obstruction.

Yes, if the runner causes the fielder with possession of the ball to fall by running into her, that could definitely be interference.

Marks for the first part!

On the second part though ... what play is the runner interfering with if F3 has the ball and is running to first base? Not saying it isn't possible; just challenging you to think within the rules. The key is going to be where (on the body) the contact was made. I am envisioning 99% of the time you'd end up with a tag (on purpose or on accident). Then again, the OP did say 10u ...

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Marks for the first part!

On the second part though ... what play is the runner interfering with if F3 has the ball and is running to first base? Not saying it isn't possible; just challenging you to think within the rules. The key is going to be where (on the body) the contact was made. I am envisioning 99% of the time you'd end up with a tag (on purpose or on accident). Then again, the OP did say 10u ...
That’s why I left the qualifier “could be” in there. I imagined the runner intentionally tripping F3, or maybe pushing her in the back as they are both running towards 1b in the same direction? Would definitely have to be there, but it could be…

Jun 18, 2023
arodsox_crop_exact.jpg

May 29, 2015
That’s why I left the qualifier “could be” in there. I imagined the runner intentionally tripping F3, or maybe pushing her in the back as they are both running towards 1b in the same direction? Would definitely have to be there, but it could be…

Those were about the only ways I could envision it. In either of those cases, I have a malicious contact, not an interference. Definitely HTBT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles