Should a player be calling out another player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
If a first baseman is not always breaking for first base when a grounder is hit to the second baseman (hits the 1st baseman should clearly not be fielding), and the HC remains silent about it, should the second baseman be yelling at the first baseman to get her to improve her play, or keep her mouth shut?

HC is not the parent of any player on the team.

Feb 3, 2016
Peer pressure works. As long as it isn't condescending or negative in tone I'm good with it. I'd expect no less from a good teammate.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Not sure about the way you presented it, but if they are working together on it ...

I’m assuming this is a younger (10u) group?

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019
If a first baseman is not always breaking for first base when a grounder is hit to the second baseman (hits the 1st baseman should clearly not be fielding), and the HC remains silent about it, should the second baseman be yelling at the first baseman to get her to improve her play, or keep her mouth shut?

HC is not the parent of any player on the team.

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019
Holding your teammates accountable, and doing it in a positive/motivating way is okay. If she just reminded her, and told her that she needed to go for it too, then that’s okay. Yelling at her would be where there’s an issue.

Jun 8, 2016
Not sure..maybe the 2nd baseman should be a player-coach a la Pete Rose (minus the betting of course..)? ;)

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
I would say no to the yelling, but 1B needs to know. In my opinion the coaches are responsible for guiding and positioning players.

I agree with your opinion, but the coaches are not fulfilling their responsibilities. They are remaining silent about this situation during game and practices.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019
It's hard to give an accurate opinion not knowing the whole situation. Assuming it isn't wee-ball, I personally wouldn't continue to play for a coach that isn't developing players. I'm all for the fun and love of the game, but it is also a competitive sport.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardSwinson