Shaved Bats - How big is the market?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Hence the failure. Most people that think compression is a joke, are the shaved guys who never want to test. They will make up all kinds of stupid reason why you shouldnt test and how it takes so much time...blah blah. I play a ton of ball AND test bats. I know for a fact testing (I play in an area where almost every tourny is tested...unless we travel, then they dont care) does cut down on altered bats. Of course a new bat with no swings will pass, but it wont pass after that tourny. So is someone going to buy a shaved bat for every weekend...doubt it.

If you dont know how to calibrate and keep care of the tester, thats not the testing's fault. If the director is on the take and passing out stickers...thats not the testing's fault. If an umpire isnt looking at stickers to make sure the bat tested fine...thats not the testing's fault. If a director says a tester is too expensive, he is a greedy SOB and wants every dime for himself instead of helping the game (directors make plenty to buy a tester and not claim poverty)...thats not the testing's fault. If a director is letting guys go thru without testing...thats not the testing's fault.

Did we read all those problems I just cited...does anything seem like the testing has failed or does most seem like ethics or the dbagness of people screw up a process that was made to try and help?????

No, the tester is not perfect...but christ, people need to step up and give a shirt instead of BEING THE PROBLEM and blaming a process that the PEOPLE have failed with.

If you as a SP player need to shave a bat to hit a ball coming in 10mph, maybe play a diff game because you suck. And if your daughter needs an altered bat to hit, you and your daughter should go to counseling together.

BTW, KCPRK...none of this was directed at you, I just quoted a piece of your argument to start my rant in general...haha

Valid point-problem is the tester and the process is only as good as the operator which is a flawed mechanism. In industry if you want consistent, reliable, and valid testing methods they have to be simplistic enough to duplicate results in all environments regardless of the operator.

So we all do agree with the issue here and no offense taken :)

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I remember ASA putting out a report on the effects of rolling vs shaving etc at a national convention once. It shows proper shaving significantly exceeds rolling and other alterations.

Dangerous stuff.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Valid point-problem is the tester and the process is only as good as the operator which is a flawed mechanism. In industry if you want consistent, reliable, and valid testing methods they have to be simplistic enough to duplicate results in all environments regardless of the operator.

Believe me, caring, calibrating and using the machine is VERY simple. Im a tech retard and its easy :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hence the failure. Most people that think compression is a joke, are the shaved guys who never want to test. They will make up all kinds of stupid reason why you shouldnt test and how it takes so much time...blah blah. I play a ton of ball AND test bats. I know for a fact testing (I play in an area where almost every tourny is tested...unless we travel, then they dont care) does cut down on altered bats. Of course a new bat with no swings will pass, but it wont pass after that tourny. So is someone going to buy a shaved bat for every weekend...doubt it.

If you dont know how to calibrate and keep care of the tester, thats not the testing's fault. If the director is on the take and passing out stickers...thats not the testing's fault. If an umpire isnt looking at stickers to make sure the bat tested fine...thats not the testing's fault. If a director says a tester is too expensive, he is a greedy SOB and wants every dime for himself instead of helping the game (directors make plenty to buy a tester and not claim poverty)...thats not the testing's fault. If a director is letting guys go thru without testing...thats not the testing's fault.

Did we read all those problems I just cited...does anything seem like the testing has failed or does most seem like ethics or the dbagness of people screw up a process that was made to try and help?????

No, the tester is not perfect...but christ, people need to step up and give a shirt instead of BEING THE PROBLEM and blaming a process that the PEOPLE have failed with.

If you as a SP player need to shave a bat to hit a ball coming in 10mph, maybe play a diff game because you suck. And if your daughter needs an altered bat to hit, you and your daughter should go to counseling together.

BTW, KCPRK...none of this was directed at you, I just quoted a piece of your argument to start my rant in general...haha

Core, Just so that I'm clear, would you mind clarifying whether you are for or against altering bats? :p

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Shaving is clearly dangerous, and knowing what lengths parents will go to further DD's career, I would say it's inevitable that it will be a problem. Rolling is obviously more grey, partly because it's accelerating a process that occurs over time, and partly because it's difficult to test. Core or others, this might sound like a stupid question, but why is rolling disallowed in the rules? There doesn't appear to be huge benefit, so why bother?

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Shaving is clearly dangerous, and knowing what lengths parents will go to further DD's career, I would say it's inevitable that it will be a problem. Rolling is obviously more grey, partly because it's accelerating a process that occurs over time, and partly because it's difficult to test. Core or others, this might sound like a stupid question, but why is rolling disallowed in the rules? There doesn't appear to be huge benefit, so why bother?

Rolling really was more popular with the older bats because older bats took soooo long to break in that people would roll them to get the bat hotter faster. There is a benefit, but from what I remember last time, there are some guys in here that roll bats for their little league buddies so I wont get into it...haha

Is it against the rules because it is not a natural break in process for a bat. Anything outside of hitting balls is deemed illegal...plain and simple. That's why its against the rules. If you allow one thing that isn't natural, then other ways push the envelope to do it better. If you remember, vicing the bats was early, then people developed the roller. If you allow rolling, how would you then say some other device is illegal but a roller isn't. Just easier to not even put your association in that position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom