Shamrocks 14U Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2009
I think its not right to be discussing a 14 yr old girl , especially names, etc on a message board, not without her permission. She is an individual with right to privacy. Collegiate players, etc are not, but this is a 14yr old girl.

As the person who posted the link to her profile page from her team website, I feel obligated to respond to this.

We are not discussing 14 year old girls per se here; we are discussing a 14 year old pitching phenom. Our focus has been her pitching, nothing more, nothing less. In what ways can we be accused of invading her privacy, given that her name is fully spelled out on her team website (as are the names of all of her team-mates), which is publically accessible? A few clicks on Google and anyone looking for info on an ace pitcher from the Shamrocks could have found her in seconds. Nothing posted so far has gone beyond what her team had seen fit to publicize (presumably with the consent of the girl's parents, especially since the father is listed as one of the assistant coaches). So why should we censor ourselves more than her team deems necessary? Isn't publicity-building or player exposure part of the reason teams like the Shamrocks feature these player profiles on their site in the first place? What better indication of the effectiveness of their effort than this very thread?

Everyone is entitled to all the privacy he or she desires, including collegiate players I might add. And since most of us have daughters of our own, we are hardly unaware of, or insensitive to, the need to protect these girls from unwanted attention. However, sharing information that is freely available in the public space is not prying! Moreover, it's important that we not lose sight of the context within which such information is being shared. We are not talking about personal matters here. What we are doing is really no different than people marveling at a boy who enrolled in college at 10, or girls who won Olympic gold in gymnastics at 15 or 16. These achievements are widely celebrated and studied; they are essentially impossible to hide. When was the last time anyone bothered to keep the names of these gifted young people a secret? Would it be inappropriate for people to talk about them in a public forum because of their age? Why should exceptional softball players be treated (and celebrated) any differently, here of all places?

Gene

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I was referring as much to posting videos, analyzing her, etc as anything else. If one of the suppliers of such information is in fact her father, maybe that becomes different. As long as they are aware that such is happening. However I still see it as sort of invasive to have people PUBLICLY passing video of young minors around and discussing them by name and analyzing and/or criticizing them publicly, at least without being asked to do so by parent.

Just my opinion.

Of course, maybe that was the intent all along.

Phenom? Maybe, time will tell. Very gifted with great potential for sure. But shes not the first 14 pitcher to throw those speeds and Im sure she wont be the last.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
what video are you talking about? The one from youtube? Again it was posted there wich is also public. Sorry but I am not following your line of reasoning at all. And the pics of Tori were from the teams website, so again no problem with that. Now I stated from the beginning that I have many high quality pics of her, that were sent to me by the father but without his permission I would never post them. You need to rethink this thing if you ask me, it just makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA