Shamrocks 14U Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2010
In the sequence from the Oktoberfast she looks like she's illegal, as she's stepped outside the 18inch width of the pitching plate...probably a screwball but...either way, she looks like she WAY outside the width of the plate...

Wow! You found something in a 13 year old pitcher (at the time)... Outside the pitching rubber on a screwball? Really? Hmmm - who else does that? Angela Tincher maybe - among many others. What's Angela Tincher doing now? She's an alternate on the U.S. team behind Abbott, Finch and Osterman. The archives you're looking at are from more than a year ago when this kid had been pitching for about 3 years (actually 2 full travel ball seasons and the fall season of her third year). At this point she's only been pitching a little less than 4 years. She has 4 high school seasons and travel ball years to go before she even starts college. That's a lot of time for growth. This thread has been discussing pages worth about her speed and mechanics. Some have talked about her movement. But one of the biggest attributes that I've witnessed is her poise in the circle. Nothing rattles her. By looking at her, you wouldn't be able to tell whether she just stuck out the side or walked the bases loaded. Speed, location, movement, poise and presence in the circle. But you found a photo from a year or so ago where "she looks like she WAY outside the width of the plate...". Amazing....

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Another response with "she has time to fix it" along with derision for someone even having the audacity to bring it up on such a unique pitching specimen. At exactly what point DOES it matter that a pitcher is cheating? If she's doing it during warmups, no big deal but as a PU calling her game I would definitely be on the lookout for it when "play ball" is called. If she is stepping outside of the 24" pitcher's plate, it is an illegal pitch that should be called regardless of how old she is. If she's been pitching for as long as you say, she knows exactly what she's doing.

When travel ball, college and Olympic pitchers are gettng away with it, then shame on the umpires for allowing the pitcher to gain an unfair advantage (isn't this scenario exactly why the Taryne Mowatt rule was enacted?), for helping the defense, and forgetting the primary duty to be an enforcer of the rules and an unbiased third party.

Jan 12, 2010
I appreciate that illegal pitches should be called, just as I appreciate unbiased umpires who don't make the game more about themselves than about the players on the field. The 14 year old kid we're talking about has pitched in many games umpired by some very good umps. She doesn't get called for illegal pitches because she doesn't pitch illegally - certainly not on purpose. If it happens it's a mistake. But that wasn't even close to the point I was trying to make. I was questioning how this thread turned from evaluating how a kid her size threw so hard to reaching back into archived photos and implying she's an illegal pitcher based on a photo taken in a game played 15 months ago. That's pretty sad. Seems like it's taking a turn from admiring something good to digging deep to find fault - but that's human nature I guess.

Jan 12, 2010
I totally agree MrGreen. Alot can be learned by watching this girl in slow motion. What I see is a desire to throw hard. She gets everything out of her body. The movement to the plate is very aggressive. Muscles in her arms and back are noticably toned. I do see some IR going on for sure. And whether she's stepping out of the lane on her screw ball is of little significance to me.
I can't for my daughter to see her throw this spring.

Outside the pitching rubber on a screwball? Really? Hmmm - who else does that? Angela Tincher maybe - among many others.

Just thought I would point out that AT told me herself about a year ago (and her dad confirmed recently) that she never pitched a screwball. I may agree with you on her occasional curve though :), or other pitchers that use screwballs (like Mowatt, for a very good example of this...)

Jan 12, 2010
Just thought I would point out that AT told me herself about a year ago (and her dad confirmed recently) that she never pitched a screwball. I may agree with you on her occasional curve though :), or other pitchers that use screwballs (like Mowatt, for a very good example of this...)

I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that AT wasn't a great pitcher. She's a definite inspiration to young pitchers. Again, that really wasn't my point. I know she has an absolute great curveball. I sat behind the plate at University of Maryland and saw some incredible break and spin on her pitches. I also saw her get called on a couple of illegal pitches for going outside the line in that game. I personally feel she was getting squeezed, but that's probably where I got the example from. Again, it's irrelevant to where I was going. I should have kept my big mouth shut.... :cool:

Jan 13, 2010
I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that AT wasn't a great pitcher. She's a definite inspiration to young pitchers. Again, that really wasn't my point. I know she has an absolute great curveball. I sat behind the plate at University of Maryland and saw some incredible break and spin on her pitches. I also saw her get called on a couple of illegal pitches for going outside the line in that game. I personally feel she was getting squeezed, but that's probably where I got the example from. Again, it's irrelevant to where I was going. I should have kept my big mouth shut.... :cool:

MrGreen...

Relax a little...I just made a comment on what it looked like...I'm sure she is all you say she is, but my first, and to this point, only impression was the file/pix that someone referred to so I took a look, and made the comment on what I saw!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I think its not right to be discussing a 14 yr old girl , especially names, etc on a message board, not without her permission. She is an individual with right to privacy. Collegiate players, etc are not, but this is a 14yr old girl.

Im sure we will see them in Moline. Looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA