Seeking help with DD Mechanics - Bat Drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Seems like your DD is more 'concerned' with maintaining certain positions then swinging freely or with intent. Take her out to a field(if possible) and let her swing for the fences.....her swing...not a coached swing.
I think there's a good swing in her. Don't worry about what you think is 'bat drag'.

So just ‘swing away’ and athleticism fixes the swing?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
How can you say it is army/pushy when it is all drag?

Just watch her swing in full speed, then go frame by frame. She is the poster child for swinging with the arms. Slop/slack. Pushing is all she had left to get the barrel on the ball.

To the OP, again don’t take this the wrong way.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Just watch her swing in full speed, then go frame by frame. She is the poster child for swinging with the arms. Slop/slack. Pushing is all she had left to get the barrel on the ball.

To the OP, again don’t take this the wrong way.
Maybe we just have different definitions of drag. Slop/slack sure, but that is what the OP was asking about. You mention something then that just confirmed that. Maybe i am confused by how you are helping OP.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Maybe we just have different definitions of drag. Slop/slack sure, but that is what the OP was asking about. You mention something then that just confirmed that. Maybe i am confused by how you are helping OP.

Fanboi22, Shawn is looking at the swing from a differnet movement pattern (lens).. He's trying to get the 99 out of 100 to see things using Rich's movement pattern... None of Rich's hitters match the best but his pattern works.

XRu9Pmv.gif

Rich, has convinced himself and now others (Shawn) that swinging down is actually turning supinating the rear forearm synced with the rear leg slipping the rear hip to power the swing.

P1LVTYB.gif

AQfOfG9.gif

CEMyHKr.gif

yrDZtmK.gif

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Seems like your DD is more 'concerned' with maintaining certain positions then swinging freely or with intent. Take her out to a field(if possible) and let her swing for the fences.....her swing...not a coached swing.
I think there's a good swing in her. Don't worry about what you think is 'bat drag'.

Simple, to the point! Love it!

Oct 2, 2017
How can you say it is army/pushy when it is all drag?

I've never understood that either. At least the way I see it. Drag is not the over use of arms, It's actually the player using the body to turn the bat into the ball with little to no use of the arms. So then the question would be what is the cause and solution?

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I've never understood that either. At least the way I see it. Drag is not the over use of arms, It's actually the player using the body to turn the bat into the ball. So then the question would be what is the cause and solution?

This is what bothers me and usually causes me not to comment as no one answers questions directly. Just points out that hitter is wrong for some reason with ambiguous comments on sequence and over coaching but no specific help on what to work on. But OP imo is asking a sincere question that I tried to answer directly with what I felt helped my DD. Hands need to stay at shoulders and push ahead until release towards the location of the ball and extend to contact. OPs DD actually has good extension from what I can see which is different than my DD had. OPs hitter pulls the elbow down to slot purposefully without significantly moving the barrel at all. That is because IMO the hitter feels they get the most power out of the swing. Some call it externally rotating top/rear arm which is fine but I guess everyone likes to use technical terms when not necessarily needed.

Hand/wrist/arm strength are definitely needed in hitting and hands just cannot be along for the ride otherwise you get this drag and flattened arm barred frontside.

Again,IMO the hitter drops rear elbow down starting before toe touch and leaves hands back as they also drop. Continuing to pull/drag elbow thru first. I had recently been telling my DD to pull with lead arm and push/punch with rear arm. specifically to try and keep her elbow from touching side. And the definition of bat drag is elbow leading hands, so if you have drag then work on hands leading instead. Which means they have to stay with and ahead of shoulder or at least with and ahead of whatever the starting hand position is.

Hitter can’t squat to get waist high pitches. Need torso tilt which requires bat on plane early which requires good FYB leveraged hitting position. OP will get those suggestions in spades after but has to fix the drag first.

Rear elbow gets slotted by the proper barrel planing and torso tilt it is not needed to purposefully pull down rear elbow. Refer to the hitter above in red showing the one handed rear arm swing. Practice that. Hit outside tees to right field. Drill with left hand only same tee same location. Keep left hand at shoulder tilt body and plane barrel to ball. Only way to get there is with proper tilt and still keeping hand at shoulder. If hand drops that incorrect IMO. Then put hands together and do same tee same location. Torso needs to tilt. Hands stay ahead elbow gets slotted during initial planing and tilting. Hands release from shoulder aimed at location of ball. Elbow never stops at slot. Continues to move thru that position til extension.

High tee IMO is to get the feel of keeping your hands high and at shoulder. But if you can’t keep your hands high on a mid to lower pitch then it doesn’t necessarily matter. Just working high tee and hoping it fixes some inherent flaw is incorrect IMO.

I really think that Ron Sullivan doesn’t have all the answers but between him and whoever did the ISO hitting ‘throw the bat’ videos together fix this issue.

One caveat to this is that my DDs bat speed measured with Blast was 72-75 mph with 76-78 exit velo. That has gone to 67 bat and 70 EV. But honestly when she takes bp I cannot tell the dif since she is barreling up so many more balls. Since working on this swing approach had an indoor tourney with 2 hr and 3 outs due to hitting the dome roof that were out of the park as well. If OP doesn’t fix the drag you are at the mercy of the time it takes to drop the barrel to the level of the pitch then stand tall or squat to get to the final height of the pitch while dragging the bat to contact. Fix the drag, plane the barrel and throw the barrel into the pitch. Then as hitter gets used to it the power comes as the swing becomes a synced unit. Again just the rambling blather of the town idiot but has helped my DD. Love peece and air grease.

Oct 2, 2017
This is what bothers me and usually causes me not to comment as no one answers questions directly. Just points out that hitter is wrong for some reason with ambiguous comments on sequence and over coaching but no specific help on what to work on. But OP imo is asking a sincere question that I tried to answer directly with what I felt helped my DD. Hands need to stay at shoulders and push ahead until release towards the location of the ball and extend to contact. OPs DD actually has good extension from what I can see which is different than my DD had. OPs hitter pulls the elbow down to slot purposefully without significantly moving the barrel at all. That is because IMO the hitter feels they get the most power out of the swing. Some call it externally rotating top/rear arm which is fine but I guess everyone likes to use technical terms when not necessarily needed.

Hand/wrist/arm strength are definitely needed in hitting and hands just cannot be along for the ride otherwise you get this drag and flattened arm barred frontside.

Again,IMO the hitter drops rear elbow down starting before toe touch and leaves hands back as they also drop. Continuing to pull/drag elbow thru first. I had recently been telling my DD to pull with lead arm and push/punch with rear arm. specifically to try and keep her elbow from touching side. And the definition of bat drag is elbow leading hands, so if you have drag then work on hands leading instead. Which means they have to stay with and ahead of shoulder or at least with and ahead of whatever the starting hand position is.

Hitter can’t squat to get waist high pitches. Need torso tilt which requires bat on plane early which requires good FYB leveraged hitting position. OP will get those suggestions in spades after but has to fix the drag first.

Rear elbow gets slotted by the proper barrel planing and torso tilt it is not needed to purposefully pull down rear elbow. Refer to the hitter above in red showing the one handed rear arm swing. Practice that. Hit outside tees to right field. Drill with left hand only same tee same location. Keep left hand at shoulder tilt body and plane barrel to ball. Only way to get there is with proper tilt and still keeping hand at shoulder. If hand drops that incorrect IMO. Then put hands together and do same tee same location. Torso needs to tilt. Hands stay ahead elbow gets slotted during initial planing and tilting. Hands release from shoulder aimed at location of ball. Elbow never stops at slot. Continues to move thru that position til extension.

High tee IMO is to get the feel of keeping your hands high and at shoulder. But if you can’t keep your hands high on a mid to lower pitch then it doesn’t necessarily matter. Just working high tee and hoping it fixes some inherent flaw is incorrect IMO.

I really think that Ron Sullivan doesn’t have all the answers but between him and whoever did the ISO hitting ‘throw the bat’ videos together fix this issue.

One caveat to this is that my DDs bat speed measured with Blast was 72-75 mph with 76-78 exit velo. That has gone to 67 bat and 70 EV. But honestly when she takes bp I cannot tell the dif since she is barreling up so many more balls. Since working on this swing approach had an indoor tourney with 2 hr and 3 outs due to hitting the dome roof that were out of the park as well. If OP doesn’t fix the drag you are at the mercy of the time it takes to drop the barrel to the level of the pitch then stand tall or squat to get to the final height of the pitch while dragging the bat to contact. Fix the drag, plane the barrel and throw the barrel into the pitch. Then as hitter gets used to it the power comes as the swing becomes a synced unit. Again just the rambling blather of the town idiot but has helped my DD. Love peece and air grease.

thanks @fanboi22. This is exactly what needs to happen when trying to provide solutions to issues. We can't just fling out suggestions to serve a certain agenda of what we think the swing should be. We got to start using our brains, Actually identifying the issue. The problem is not that the swing is armsy. The problem is that the OP's player isn't using her arms and hands enough. Which in today's hitting atmosphere is considered heresy. God forbid you tell players to get their hands and arms in the action, but there is no reason to hear the op's question, and start throwing out things that while they are maybe a issue or can be improved have little to nothing to do with the actual problem asked. Just my rant LOL, this coffee must be strong this morning!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Learn to leverage the swing. Leaky lower halves or active rotation are the cause for drag and pushy swings.

You swing against your legs and lower half. So launch is middle out. Can only do that If the lower is leveraged.

1615559711207.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott