Sad Day

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Temple is a good basketball school. Unfortunately, they want to play with the big boys all the way around and they just cannot compete with them financially or draw of the SA. After all, if you have ever lived or worked in North Philly, you would understand it is a relatively confined campus

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Very nice post sir. I just don't get why some people argue about what a coach of a huge football program gets but the softball or swimming program or whatever gets cut. Money!

The football programs at these colleges where the Head Coach is paid very well (Bama, LSU, Texas, A&M, Auburn, etc..) float the athletic department. I don't see why it is such an issue. Are they paid too much. To me - yes. To the market - no. Let's face it the value of a person or object is set by the market whether we like it or not. If the football programs at those colleges weren't bringing in mega dollars, then you wouldn't see those aggregate salaries.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Just reading right now that the SEC football coach salaries as a collective increased 129% from 2006-2012. What other "employees" (government employees for that matter) not business owners, in the world have received a 129% raise for doing the same job they have always done?

Those whose service or product brought in an equal increase to their employer/company.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
That is "commission", which would mean they also get a decrease in pay if their service or product has a decrease.

No I wasn't referring to a commission. I was referring to value. Salary to commensurate with experience/results type situation.

It also applies to objects in the market too. What is your car or house worth? What someone else will pay based on a value assessment set in part by the market. What is Saban's value as a college HC? What a college is willing to offer in a package. They will base that on the market (what others would pay), what he brings to their program, and what he can do for their program.

You could use the LSU/Bama situation to value Pat Murphy's current salary.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
No I wasn't referring to a commission. I was referring to value. Salary to commensurate with experience/results type situation.

It also applies to objects in the market too. What is your car or house worth? What someone else will pay based on a value assessment set in part by the market. What is Saban's value as a college HC? What a college is willing to offer in a package. They will base that on the market (what others would pay), what he brings to their program, and what he can do for their program.

I believe in market based compensation, except when the market has some sort of fundamental flaw. Say for instance a market that for some reason did not have direct labor costs for it's service. If pay was solely based on the value of a product these shouldn't the players be paid?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle