Running Backwards To Avoid The Tag?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Thank you MiB, had a district tournament game I had rto work, didn't get the chance to get to it

No worries, just razzing you!

I took some time off to go back home for a week, so I've been spending too much time on here as a substitute. Hope the tournament went well!

Nov 18, 2015
USSA
8.17.G When they move backward toward home plate to avoid or delay being tagged out. The ball is dead and base runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the infraction.
Wanted to highlight the above, as I didn't realize the "penalty" that came with it. At Tuesday's practice, we went over the Cubs-Pirates play, emphasizing a) with 2 outs, just step on the base!; and b) in softball, as a runner, just STOP, but DO NOT retreat.

Part of my discussion with the girls was as a fielder, as soon as the BR heads back to home, forget about her (she's out), and focus on the next play (likely the runner heading home). I guess that's moot now, b/c I know now it's a dead ball, and the runner's need to return to the previous base. Interesting that only USSSA adds in the "defensive lifesaver" of returning runners.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Same in NFHS Rule 8.2.5 Penalty The ball is dead and runner(s) must return to the last touched base at the time of the interference.

Because this is technically an interference call I suspect it is also the penalty for NCAA, but don't have the reference available at the moment.

Oct 24, 2010
and, NCAA:
12.5 The batter-runner is out:
12.5.7 When she steps back toward home plate to avoid or delay a tag by a fielder. Effect - See Rule 12.10.4
12.10.4 The batter-runner may not step back toward home plate to avoid or delay a tag by a fielder.
Effect: The ball is dead, the batter-runner is out, and each base runner must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch.

Emphasis added.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06