Running Backwards To Avoid The Tag?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I swear this has been discussed before but I can't find the exact thread or rule.

Can a runner run backwards to avoid a tag?

Example: Runner on first. Ground ball to second base. Runner on first sees second baseman in the base path with the ball waiting to apply the tag. The runner stops, and retreats back towards first base to avoid the easy double play.

I have argued with a HS coach and an umpire in the last month, both saying you cannot retreat back to a base and that all you are allowed to do is stop. Once you step backwards you are automatically out.

I thought you could run backwards at anytime except when going to first base.

What section in the rule book should I be looking under? I want to print this rule off for reference.

Thanks.

Now that everyone else has cited a rule that isn't about a runner :) the short answer is "yes".

Jun 24, 2013
A little bit about where the confusion may stem from.
True a batter-runner cannot retreat towards home because there is nowhere "safe" to retreat to.
True a runner between any of the other bases can retreat to the base they left as they have somewhere "safe" to retreat to.
However, once contact has been made with the base the runner is going to, they cannot retreat to the former safe base.
There is a rule stating this fact. Here is where the rule came from:
In a MLB game, in the 1930's if my memory serves me right (not sure if it was called MLB at the time) there was a runner on first who successfully stole first. The defense made no attempt to throw him out. In an effort to disconcert the pitcher/catcher he stole 3rd. Again the defense made no attempt to stop the steal. Since he was trying to disconcert the pitcher and catcher he stole 2nd, from 3rd base. Again the defense, although confused, did not falter. The runner then stole 1st from 2nd. The umpires conferred and there was no rule in the book, at that time, that prevented a runner from running the bases backwards. After the game, MLB convened and instituted a rule about "preventing a travesty to the game". Rulebooks now have some rule that refers to running backwards as a travesty to the game and not being allowed.
Perhaps that is where the confusion lies. Since there is a rule about running backwards being prohibited, perhaps that is where the confusion arose from.

Jun 22, 2008
True a batter-runner cannot retreat towards home because there is nowhere "safe" to retreat to.
True a runner between any of the other bases can retreat to the base they left as they have somewhere "safe" to retreat to.
However, once contact has been made with the base the runner is going to, they cannot retreat to the former safe base.
In a MLB game, in the 1930's if my memory serves me right (not sure if it was called MLB at the time) there was a runner on first who successfully stole first. The defense made no attempt to throw him out. In an effort to disconcert the pitcher/catcher he stole 3rd. Again the defense made no attempt to stop the steal. Since he was trying to disconcert the pitcher and catcher he stole 2nd, from 3rd base. Again the defense, although confused, did not falter. The runner then stole 1st from 2nd. The umpires conferred and there was no rule in the book, at that time, that prevented a runner from running the bases backwards. After the game, MLB convened and instituted a rule about "preventing a travesty to the game". Rulebooks now have some rule that refers to running backwards as a travesty to the game and not being allowed.
Perhaps that is where the confusion lies. Since there is a rule about running backwards being prohibited, perhaps that is where the confusion arose from.

There is no rule restricting a player from retreating from a base. There is also no rule regarding the batter/runner retreating back toward home, unless it is to avoid or delay an attempt to tag them. Yes, if the umpire judges it an attempt to make a travesty of the game, then it can be ruled on, but otherwise there is nothing in the rules. There are some conditions that can be reapplied to a runner, such as if the runner was forced to a base, touches it and then retreats back toward the previous base, the force is reinstated.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
From the NCAA rules:

12.22.4 A base runner who must return to a base while the ball is in play or dead must retouch the base(s) in reverse order. Exception: A base runner, who must return to a base after an uncaught foul fly ball, need not touch intervening bases.

So, a runner can run to a previous base as long as she touches any intervening bases.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
ASA 82H: Batter-runner is out when they step back towards home plate to avoid or delay a tag by a fielder.

This rule only applies to home and the batter-runner.

Correct^^^
However, they CAN stop dead in their tracks to force the d to come to them so that their teammates will be safe and not caught in a double play

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

That is a different rule and it exists in almost every rule set. It states that a runner may not run the bases in reverse order to confuse the fielders or make a travesty of the game. This is not the same as retreating to avoid a tag.

Aug 4, 2013
It's smart to train 1B players who pickup a ground ball to step into the base path and run towards the batter-runner. If the BR reverses direction, all other runners must go back.
Smart defensive strategy to ensure other runners can't advance.
;)

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's smart to train 1B players who pickup a ground ball to step into the base path and run towards the batter-runner. If the BR reverses direction, all other runners must go back.
Smart defensive strategy to ensure other runners can't advance.

??? Where do you get that? If the BR reverses directions, BR is out. Nothing else happens.

Jun 22, 2008
??? Where do you get that? If the BR reverses directions, BR is out. Nothing else happens.

If the batter/runner retreats, it is considered interference. If there are any other runners on base, they must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06