Running Backwards To Avoid The Tag?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I swear this has been discussed before but I can't find the exact thread or rule.

Can a runner run backwards to avoid a tag?

Example: Runner on first. Ground ball to second base. Runner on first sees second baseman in the base path with the ball waiting to apply the tag. The runner stops, and retreats back towards first base to avoid the easy double play.

I have argued with a HS coach and an umpire in the last month, both saying you cannot retreat back to a base and that all you are allowed to do is stop. Once you step backwards you are automatically out.

I thought you could run backwards at anytime except when going to first base.

What section in the rule book should I be looking under? I want to print this rule off for reference.

Thanks.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It is a rule I am unfamiliar with.
The first time I ever heard of such a rule was in the WCWS where I found out you are not allowed to go back towards home plate to avoid a tag. Not sure if that is specific NCAA rule or if it applies to all levels of play.
However, I've never heard it applying to any other base.

perhaps one of the good umps on this site can enlighten us both.

Jun 24, 2013
ASA 82H: Batter-runner is out when they step back towards home plate to avoid or delay a tag by a fielder.

This rule only applies to home and the batter-runner.

Jun 22, 2008
The only time that rules applies is between home and 1st. At any other base the runner can run back to their original base if they choose, just so long as they do not run 3' outside their basepath.

The rule you are looking for is 8-2-H

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
ASA: Rule 8, Section 2, Part H: Batter-Runner is out when the batter-runner steps back toward home plate to avoid or delay by a fielder.
EFFECT: The ball is dead and runner(s) must return to the last base legally touched at the time of the interference.

It is also in Rule Supplement 33, Section I.

There shouldn't be anything about runners retreating between 1B-2B, 2B-3B, and 3B-HP because if the BR is put-out first, then the force is removed and the runners can return.

Someone else will have to chime in with FED citations.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I'm kinda perplexed as to why this even came up as a question with the coach and/or umpire ( except bt. Home and 1st as others have noted)

Neither of them had ever seen or practiced rundowns?

May 17, 2012
The only time that rules applies is between home and 1st. At any other base the runner can run back to their original base if they choose, just so long as they do not run 3' outside their basepath.

The rule you are looking for is 8-2-H

Thanks, I think we are on the same page.

Are we saying that running back to a base (other than home as specified in 8-2-H) is legal because it isn't specifically addressed anywhere else?

I would assume the runner in my example above could retreat all the way to first base but couldn't actually touch it? (Or is that irrelevant as they would still have to be tagged to be out, or forced out at 2nd).

Thank you for your patience. I really want to understand this as I am telling my girls one thing and umpires/other coaches are saying some thing different.

May 17, 2012
I'm kinda perplexed as to why this even came up as a question with the coach and/or umpire ( except bt. Home and 1st as others have noted)

Neither of them had ever seen or practiced rundowns?

That was exactly my thinking as well. When I had two independent people tell me something different I wanted to look into it.

For what it's worth, it is a rule in NSA slow pitch (that you can't run backwards, you can only stop). At least that's what another umpire told me the other night. I understand that this has nothing to do with fastpitch.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I would assume the runner in my example above could retreat all the way to first base but couldn't actually touch it? (Or is that irrelevant as they would still have to be tagged to be out, or forced out at 2nd).
It is irrelevant, she can stand on 1st base. The batter though has the right to the base so if runner is tagged she is out.

However if the fielder steps on the base first while in possession of the ball before tagging the runner who retreated and before the batter reaches 1st, then the batter is out and the force is removed so tagging her at that point if she is on the base would not be an out.

The order of actions is important in this case.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478