Running on basepath

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
I mean if a runner is in outfield and he changes direction, to 1B and after changes to 2B and over and over, we have a zyg-zagging movement, but is this legit?
Legenda the red point is the runner and the blue point is the fielder with the ball chasing him.
20230528_132724.gif

May 27, 2022
So , I am guessing this happened in your game and you want someone to say it was illegal and the runner should have been called out. I get it. I’ve done that myself. But,
a: it is really grey as to what it explicitly should be called in a live fluid situation
b: without video, it is really hard to judge
c: the level of competition also plays into just how important this particular call is
d: you’re not going to get satisfaction with the responses in this forum

again, I get it. From what you describe, it might have been legal or not. There is a path, based on your graphic, where what you described could be legal And there are paths where it would not. Then add to it if the umpire was in proper position and if the knew and understood the application of the rule in that situation.

May 17, 2023
I am satisfied with the answers. My problem is that we play without an umpire, we play only among friends and some situations some situations are absolutely unknown by us.
Thank you so much.

May 17, 2023
Yes, the runner can change their direction at any time, but if they do, it would have to be in the red or blue direction. The runner, cannot retreat in the orange directions.

View attachment 27984
The runner in outfield must move only in green directions but he may not move in red directions, right?

IMG_20230708_202257.jpg
So the runner may not go in a direction between 2B and 1B, right?

other issue related to the skunk in outfield:
We have a runner in outfield.
sequences of the actions:
1. A runner in outfield
2. F9 moves towards the runner
3. Runner goes towards second base
4. F9 approaches and tries to tag him.
5. Runner, running towards second base, changes his mind and goes towards first base but after he has avoided being tagged out he changes direction and other time and goes towards second base, is it legal?
20230708_202431.gif

May 29, 2015
200.gif

May 27, 2022
The rule is not very clear, what would you think if they abolished it?

Either you are suggesting that
1. runners can run wherever they want whenever they want
- or -
2. runners can only run in a line directly between the bases (IE no rounding the bases)

Neither is better than the little bit of confusion currently.

Oct 4, 2023
Hello,
I'd want to know more about the basepath.
I have many questions about it.

First the tag attempt
This is the definition:
"A runner's base path is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely."

But when does a tag attempt begin?

1. A fielder, with the ball, moves towards a runner, is this considered a tag attempt though he is still far from the runner?
2. Or must the fielder get close enough to the runner?

Second
Now when is a tag attempt considered finished?
If a runner avoid a tag attempt legally is the tag attempt considered finished?
I mean a fielder tries to tag the runner, fielder failed to tag him but he won’t give up tagging him and try again. Is this a new tag attempt?

I mean when can a runner create a new basepath? When can he change directions?

Third
If a runner is between the base, for example, between 1B and 2b, on the same tag attempt could he go forward and backward between the bases?
The important thing is not to go out three feet to the right or left?
I mean is avoiding a tag attempt backward on the basepath, when a runner is between the bases, legale?
This is a gif (First gif) to explain my question.
View attachment 27981

Fourth
How define the basepath in a skunk in outfield or in a broken mirror play?
The basepath is defined when a tag attempt begin so a fielder moves towards the runner, though he is still far from the runner, right?
But the basepath is dynamic?
As the runner runs towards, for example, 2B the basepath changes with him so can he not get back to his precedent spot in right field?
As he moves towards second, the baseline moves down with him, so once he got near second base, his baseline became the “standard” baseline everyone knows about, with 3 feet on either side.
View attachment 27980
Like in this video
minute 3.10
Or a basepath is a static concept? I mean the runner can get back to his precedent spot where he was when the tag attempt begin?
View attachment 27976

Once the runner goes toward 2B the runner can not get back to his precedent spot or can go in a direct line between the 1B and 2B and can not zygzagging.
He can goes directly only towards 1B or 2B.
But what if a runner goes toward 2B, starting from right field, with a fielder trying a tag, changes his mind and goes toward 1B, in this case does he violate the 3 feet rule?
The red arrow is the runner's direction. Blue is where the runner come.

Because in a standard baseline between the bases, during the same tag attempt, you can go backward and forward, you must only not deviate 3 feet to the right or left. Instead in a skunk in outfield situation a runner can go only towards a base? Or can he change the direction even during the same tag attempt?

Thanks you so much.

A runner establishes his or her base path from one base to the next. On a tag play, the runner is subject to the limitation of the base path established by a three foot limit outside it to avoid being tagged out. If a runner violates that spatial determination, he or she is out and retired.

To avoid interference a runner may wish to move around an infielder making an initial attempt to field a batted ball. In competitive situations, a runner may seek to screen a batted ball or slide before an attempted play at an advancing base before a force out or tag is completed. In certain associations and rule codes, a runner is also permitted to leap an infielder but risks being called out for interference and possible ejection on a play seeking to induce an obstruction (deliberate contact with a defensive player in the base path or blocked base ) call.

When does a tag end? It ends with the completion of playing action. A defensive player cannot push a runner off base to seek an out call. But a defensive player may continue applying a tag on a runner until the play ends, including an overslide at any base. Base running rules have become stricter over the years to avoid unnecessary injuries caused by player contact on the base paths.

When a runner misses a base and is not tagged out, the runner in some associations and under certain rules codes can be called out without the opportunity to return to that base depending on the circumstance. For an umpire, there is no out or safe call until playing action ends. No call indicates no end to the play. The outcome then determines what happens next, meaning what ruling is applied.

May 29, 2015
A runner establishes his or her base path from one base to the next.
WRONG, again. As are several other statements in this post and the poster's prior posts.

To avoid interference a runner may wish to move around an infielder making an initial attempt to field a batted ball. In competitive situations, a runner may seek to screen a batted ball or slide before an attempted play at an advancing base before a force out or tag is completed. In certain associations and rule codes, a runner is also permitted to leap an infielder but risks being called out for interference and possible ejection on a play seeking to induce an obstruction (deliberate contact with a defensive player in the base path or blocked base ) call.

When does a tag end? It ends with the completion of playing action. A defensive player cannot push a runner off base to seek an out call. But a defensive player may continue applying a tag on a runner until the play ends, including an overslide at any base. Base running rules have become stricter over the years to avoid unnecessary injuries caused by player contact on the base paths.

When a runner misses a base and is not tagged out, the runner in some associations and under certain rules codes can be called out without the opportunity to return to that base depending on the circumstance. For an umpire, there is no out or safe call until playing action ends. No call indicates no end to the play. The outcome then determines what happens next, meaning what ruling is applied.

Why does this feel like an AI trying to train itself? Interesting it is tacked on to a thread that was started with an also suspect style. The English teacher in me is giving you a zero.

@Charblue ... please stop randomly jumping in on old threads and posting AI scrub-no-babble (technobabble that is just plagiarized from other sources) and is not correct. Crud ... did I just get suckered into training the darn thing to help it become sentient?

Rob Manfred, is this one of yours?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802