Rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I got a great idea. I am going to take 6 girls and line them up in a line to block the view of the runner on first. I would use 7 girls but I need a pitcher, a catcher and someone to receive the throw down to 2nd base.

Who is the genius now? ;)

Jun 22, 2008
Unless I missed a reference, I thought everything Ed quoted was straight from USSSA? Or are you replying to the original OP, and saying the umpire in the original scenario was applying an NCAA rule?
I am replying to the original post, what the umpire was saying is an NCAA only rule.

Aug 24, 2018
I got a great idea. I am going to take 6 girls and line them up in a line to block the view of the runner on first. I would use 7 girls but I need a pitcher, a catcher and someone to receive the throw down to 2nd base.
I'll do one better. I'm going to line up my pitcher in the line of sight of any runner on second base. No way that runner is going to see the ball get hit

Feb 13, 2021
MI

Who is the genius now? ;)
I'll do one better. I'm going to line up my pitcher in the line of sight of any runner on second base. No way that runner is going to see the ball get hit

My point, despite all of the sarcasm, is that if a fielder is INTENTIONALLY positioning herself WITH THE INTENT of preventing a runner from seeing the pitcher, it COULD be construed as unsporting behavior. I might address the action, especially if it has been brought to my attention by the offense (again, minus that sort of request I am highly unlikely to even notice it, since there is much more pre-pitch that I am concentrating on).

Sep 1, 2020
obstruction is when a fielder illegally hinders a baserunner running within the basepath. Baserunners are generally permitted to run from base to base without being physically blocked or hindered by a fielder. The key word is running - line of sight does not apply to obstruction.
Reverse it.....if the baserunner is blocking the line of sight for the fielder, ie.,either looking for their catcher's signal, how the batter is set up in the box or a directive from a bench coach, would that be interference?? would that be behaving in manner not in accordance of spirit of fair play??

Sep 1, 2020
even if it is unsporting behavior - if you address/correct it and they do it again and again, what consequence will be applied to the violation?? the first basemen is disqualified?

Jun 22, 2008
In anything other than NCAA it is not obstruction to block a runners view of the pitcher. The fielder can stand just about anywhere they like and there is no rule preventing it, even if they are doing it intentionally. Trying to call it unsportsmanlike is simply making stuff up.

The only player required by rule to have an unobstructed view of the pitcher is the batter.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The definition of obstruction has already been posted in this thread, nothing in the definition restricts it to the act of running. Rather, it deals with " which hinders a runner or changes the pattern of play". Regardless of whether you think obstruction applies (the penalty for which is simply to call time, put the runner where she would have gotten -on first, right where she is, and put the ball back in play) or if you would rather the umpire went down the route of calling it an unsporting action (Penalty-ejection) is up to you I guess. As an umpire, I am going to try to keep players and coaches in the game. If this is something the offense has asked the umpire to address would you rather s/he:

a) Tell the coach he just has to live with it.
b) Ask the fielder to take a step one way or the other.

Remember, this is something an umpire is VERY unlikely to come up with on his/her own. they are in no position to easily determine if the vision is being blocked, they have much more pressing things to concentrate on pre-pitch, and frankly it IS a can of worms that no sane umpire would open voluntarily (as is evidenced by this post).

Once the offense brings it up, however, I would take a peek over to see if the fielder is INTENTIONALLY screening the runner (is she glancing over her shoulder to make sure she is lined up 'just right', adjusting if the runner tries to compensate, etc.) If this is what is going on now I have to make a decision, ignore the justifiable request from the offense, or talk to the fielder. If the fielder or her coach then insist on continuing, we have the choice of obstruction or unsporting behavior, which would you do first?

Seems to me everyone would rather deal with this at the lowest level i.e. just ask the fielder to take a step (this at least lets the defense know we are aware of what is going on). Since such a request needs to be grounded in the rule book, obstruction is the thing that keeps the penalty at the lowest severity. Are there any who would prefer the umpire went right to ejection?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Comp, I will need to disagree with you on this.If someone is trying to put the other team at a disadvantage through other than playing action is not sportsmanship but gamesmanship. 'Gaming' the rules is almost always unsporting. The spirit and intent need to be weighed as much as the written word of the rules. IMO.

Jun 22, 2008
Seriously, stop making crap up. I have seen more made up crap on the umpire forums the past couple of weeks than I can count. Stop trying to use sportsmanship to make up something that isn't illegal. And seriously, letting a coach talk you into making a call????

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying