Rule Question - First base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
This happened to us twice this weekend, once on offense and once on defense.

Field does not have a safety bag, so just a single base. And as we all know, the single first base is inside the foul line. Pretty straight forward.

Right handed hitter bunts, and then runs to first. The throw hits the runner, and runner is called out for running inside the baseline. I'm not entirely sure how from the right handed batters box you can run to first and be in foul territory and then reach out to the left on your last step to hit the bag. Both times the runner took a straight line from the batters box to first.

I would think they got this call wrong - even when it benefitted us. I do appreciate that it's subjective to some degree, but we thought it was crazy the runner was called out. Other base runners were also sent back to their original base.

1682351863149.png

Jun 20, 2015
crazy or not, fair or not. righties have to get outside the foul line when running to first. And honestly, that field should have the running lane striped as well.

Ohio mandated the double bag this year for OHSAA sanctioned games.

way back in the stone ages and baseball, on bunts, our catcher used to be told to drill the runners right in the back if they were even close to being on or inside the line. "Encourage them to NOT bunt next at bat" was the coach's logic at the time. Of course, this was coach that was also smoking like a chimney the entire game. Thankfully, times have changed.

Nov 9, 2021
It is odd but righty hitters do have to get outside the foul line. We have painted running lanes on most of the fields now. If a kid likes to bunt you better teach them to hit lefty if they are trying to do it for hits. They get about a two step advantage over right handed batters now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
Safety bag or not and lane drawn or not you need to be in the lane. Girls softball players move so far up in the box when they bunt, coupled with the fact that the baselines are so short, creates this issue quite a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_1823.jpeg
    IMG_1823.jpeg
    880 KB · Views: 46
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It's a rule so you don't interfere with the throw to first by running in fair territory. It applies equally to left and right handed batters. It's just easier for left handed batters to run in foul territory than it is for right handed batters.

But honestly if you're a LHB bunting you are probably up near the front of the box anyway and starting in fair territory also.

Apr 18, 2023

Field does not have a safety bag, so just a single base. And as we all know, the single first base is inside the foul line. Pretty straight forward.

Right handed hitter bunts, and then runs to first. The throw hits the runner, and runner is called out for running inside the baseline. I'm not entirely sure how from the right handed batters box you can run to first and be in foul territory and then reach out to the left on your last step to hit the bag. Both times the runner took a straight line from the batters box to first.

I would think they got this call wrong - even when it benefitted us. I do appreciate that it's subjective to some degree, but we thought it was crazy the runner was called out. Other base runners were also sent back to their original base.

View attachment 27844
The runner must run in foul territory the last 30 feet whether they are right or left handed, With only one base they are allowed the last two steps in fair territory. Like most everything else this is a judgement call if the running lane is not drawn or has been washed out by play.

May 29, 2015
Not too long ago I read a very interesting article on the history of the runner's lane. Way back in the origin days of baseball, the bases were half in fair territory, half in foul territory. The lane made sense. Over the years that changed, and the lane didn't really make sense. Then the double-base was introduced (in some places) and the lane made sense again.

Illinois requires the double base. We cannot play a game if they don't have it.

As for the OP, sounds like they got it right. As for drilling the runner with the throw, NOT runner's lane interference.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta

View attachment 27844

Were you playing at PGF Oaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45