Rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Woah, asking me to take a look at something is not 'talking me into a call' I just finished reviewing the entire thread to try to figure out where it went off the rails. Let's go back to the start: Comp, how would you handle the whole situation? Let's take just the facts in the OP, 1B playing a step inside the baseline, a couple of steps towards second. Apparently (though it wasn't stated) screening the pitcher from the view of the runner. I think we would both not even notice it unless it was addressed by the offense. (Here is where we get into gray areas, because such a request isn;'t mentioned in the OP). If there WAS a request about it from the offense, are you just telling the HC, "Sorry, they are technically within the rules, even if it seems a bit shady, I have to let it go."

Sep 1, 2020
this whole thread deals with 1st base.... if you enforce that standard you would have apply it to every base and not just first - imagine the bases loaded several innings - no way - which, if this happened and I've never heard of such thing which means you might be making up rules - bottom line - the type of obstruction you refer to is basepath obstruction can only be applied when there is a live batted ball

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Let's take just the facts in the OP, 1B playing a step inside the baseline, a couple of steps towards second.

I think what bothers me, more than anything, is this is a perfectly reasonable place for a first baseman to play. I can almost... almost... get on board with what you're saying in this thread if the fielder was actually in some unusual position, was tracking her movements to the runners ("leading off" with her), etc. But in this post, the 1B is playing in a place where 1Bs often play.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
OBSTRUCTION. Obstruction is the act of a defensive team member which hinders a runner or changes the pattern of play or when a catcher or fielder hinders a batter unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or making an initial play on a batted ball. The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal.

Not sure where obstruction is limited to live batted ball action, the only reference to a batted ball is what would make contact interference rather than obstruction, in other words it protects the fielder. Like I said and acknowledge, obstruction IS a bit of a stretch, not completely MSU since visual obstruction IS dealt with in NCAA. Regardless, take OBS off the table. Would I consider screening a runner intentionally to be unsporting? Yes, I would. In my judgment it is unsporting. Would you rather I stretched a rule to validate asking a fielder to cease doing something that I feel is unsporting or would you rather I went right to the ejection?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
CoachJD, thank you. Yes whether or not the position and the ensuing movements are 'screening' is what is missing from the OP. As I said earlier in the post, I am trying to come up with a set of circumstances that would justify the umpire's call. The OP was thin on some of the facts. I would rather try to explain why he might have been right, give some context for when he MIGJT be right even if wrong in this instance.

Jun 22, 2008
I have already stated there is absolutely no rule that says they have to provide an unobstructed view of the pitcher. I'm going to tell the coach there is no rule preventing it and we are going to resume play.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
So anything that isn't prohibited in the rules is fair game? If there isn't a rule against it, it is ok. Reminds of when I was playing ball in school. The catcher from the other team had a peeled potato in his back pocket and launched it over the 3B head into LF and had an easy putout when the runner headed home. No rule against throwing raw produce so I guess as an umpire you would just let it go. Sorry for the snark, but just because the rules committee hasn't thought about it yet does NOT make it kosher.

Jun 22, 2008
Ok let's reverse the situation here a little. Runner on third, batter purposely standing in back of batters box to block the catchers view of the runner at third. You going to tell the batter she has to move? If she doesn't move are you going to call interference on her? Are you going to call it unsportsmanlike and eject her? If the defensive coach complains about where the batters are standing are you going to decide they have to move?

And let's get real here, we aren't talking about some fool bringing a potato on the field. There is nothing, I will repeat, absolutely NOTHING in the rules that says a fielder has to provide the runner an unobstructed view of the pitcher. And don't even try to point to NCAA, their rules are made by whiney rear coaches that think they got burned by something and every year they get enough other coaches to vote with them to create some new rule.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12