Walk Off Scenario

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Happened this weekend. Game is in ITB, score tied, bases loaded, 1 out, home team batting. Winning run on 3B. Batter hits a shallow pop fly that probably should have been caught but wasn’t. Runner at 3B scores. Runners at 1B and 2B (mistakenly) went back to the base. Winning runner crosses home plate. Umpire calls ball game. Base runners take off to the next base once they realized the was not caught and the girl that hit the ball was at 1B. Defense picks the ball up and throws to 3B for second out, then throws to 2B but the girl was safe. If the defense would have gotten the girl going to 2B out (3rd out) I am assuming the run would not have counted due to the force out rule. What y’all got? It was a chaotic finish

Aug 18, 2018
So it would be no different than:
Bases loaded, 1 out
Ball hit to 3b, she steps on third for out 2 then throws to 2b for out 3

I don't think that run counts and game continues.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Apr 18, 2023
Happened this weekend. Game is in ITB, score tied, bases loaded, 1 out, home team batting. Winning run on 3B. Batter hits a shallow pop fly that probably should have been caught but wasn’t. Runner at 3B scores. Runners at 1B and 2B (mistakenly) went back to the base. Winning runner crosses home plate. Umpire calls ball game. Base runners take off to the next base once they realized the was not caught and the girl that hit the ball was at 1B. Defense picks the ball up and throws to 3B for second out, then throws to 2B but the girl was safe. If the defense would have gotten the girl going to 2B out (3rd out) I am assuming the run would not have counted due to the force out rule. What y’all got? It was a chaotic finish
You would be correct. Just because the run scored the play is not over.

Sep 29, 2014
You would be correct. Just because the run scored the play is not over.
But when the umpire says "ball game" probably raising his hands this should be seen as the ball now being dead, players reactions after this call shoudn't be taken into account and the game should be over.

Mar 1, 2013
We have a 5 run limit per inning in the youth league I call. I’m often heard, “let them touch” on a bases loaded walk before saying, “bring it in”. It goes like this:
Me: Ball four
Coach: that’s five
Me: let them touch

In the grand scheme it doesn’t matter to THIS game but if these leagues are to help them learn the game, they need to learn to finish the play, even on a bases loaded walk.

Jan 30, 2019
My last regular season high school went into extra innings because the batter runner didn't finish her walk.

Bases loaded 2 outs, tied game. Ball 4 happens, runners on 3 and 2 advance their base and touch. Runner on 1 is confused and doesn't go immediately to 2 but the 1st base coach eventually gets her to go. The Batter-runner doesn't advance as the runner from 3rd has already touched home. Me and my partner are not calling ball game or time and are just standing there. Everyone is yelling at her to go to first. A player from the dugout runs over to her and pushed her and tells her to go touch 1st. Now we have the 3rd out for offensive personnel assisting that is not a runner, that was the Batter-runner. So, the run came off the board and we went to extra innings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee