Rule Question - First base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Were you playing at PGF Oaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were indeed. In general I felt the umps did well and the tourney was on time and fields in good shape. I heard some griping about the umps, but I suppose that's always going to happen if princess doesn't get on base every time.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
Pretty sure I was the head coach of the team you were playing when the running lane interference call was made against you. Obviously y’all have a very good team and your head coach is one I respect. We enjoy playing you (it makes us better even though we haven’t managed a W against you other than way back in Fall 2020). I was surprised by the reaction to the call from your assistant coaches and parents. It was pretty cut and dry that the batter runner has to be called out. Looking at the video the umpires might have been wrong to move the player who started at 1B back to 1B. The rule (for PGF tournaments NFHS rules are used) is the runners are returned to the last base touched at the time of the interference. The runner looks to have touched second a split second before the throw hit the batter runner preventing our 1B from receiving it. That said, it’s only in slow motion and with repeated looks that I can tell so one that I would tend not to get upset about. Congrats on a very good team for your daughter- whichever player she is she must be a heck of a baller to play with that team, and also on a very good second day of tournament play this last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Oct 4, 2018
Pretty sure I was the head coach of the team you were playing when the running lane interference call was made against you. Obviously y’all have a very good team and your head coach is one I respect. We enjoy playing you (it makes us better even though we haven’t managed a W against you other than way back in Fall 2020). I was surprised by the reaction to the call from your assistant coaches and parents. It was pretty cut and dry that the batter runner has to be called out. Looking at the video the umpires might have been wrong to move the player who started at 1B back to 1B. The rule (for PGF tournaments NFHS rules are used) is the runners are returned to the last base touched at the time of the interference. The runner looks to have touched second a split second before the throw hit the batter runner preventing our 1B from receiving it. That said, it’s only in slow motion and with repeated looks that I can tell so one that I would tend not to get upset about. Congrats on a very good team for your daughter- whichever player she is she must be a heck of a baller to play with that team, and also on a very good second day of tournament play this last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Yeah, our parents get riled up a bit more than I'd prefer, but I'm a very laid back guy and just like to let the umps do their jobs. It was a close game, and your lead-off hitter came close to 3HRs (that would have changed the outcome).

Apr 19, 2023
This happened to us twice this weekend, once on offense and once on defense.

Field does not have a safety bag, so just a single base. And as we all know, the single first base is inside the foul line. Pretty straight forward.

Right handed hitter bunts, and then runs to first. The throw hits the runner, and runner is called out for running inside the baseline. I'm not entirely sure how from the right handed batters box you can run to first and be in foul territory and then reach out to the left on your last step to hit the bag. Both times the runner took a straight line from the batters box to first.

I would think they got this call wrong - even when it benefitted us. I do appreciate that it's subjective to some degree, but we thought it was crazy the runner was called out. Other base runners were also sent back to their original base.

View attachment 27844
The batter must be in the running lane after they reach haflway to firstbase. Interference is called and the batter is out and all runners return to the base they were on when the ball was put into play.

May 29, 2015
Careful there ... I didn't go back and re-read the whole thread, so we may have covered this already, but ...

... In NFHS, NCAA, and USA the runner is not out unless they run outside the lane AND interfere with the fielder taking the throw. Interference does not happen if the runner is simply hit by the the throw.

USSSA uses a little different language which could result in an out call for being hit by the throw. I'll leave it to somebody who regularly calls USSSA to let us know if they actually call it that way when nobody else does.

Aug 2, 2022
Michigan
A lot of coaches teach their kids to run in fair territory, at least up until the start of the runners lane, on bunts or dropped third strikes. Does anything change if the runner is hit by the ball before the start of the runners lane? What is the thinking on having them run in fair territory, knowing that the batter is likely going to be called out if hit by the thrown ball?

Aug 10, 2023
Out is the correct call, it is a tough one. I am bookmarking this for Peter's response. this is how an opposijng coach should communicate with respect and understanding with professionalism. i like it a lot. that alone makes this thread a win.

May 29, 2015
Again, a batter-runner is not out because they are hit by the throw. They are called out for running outside the lane AND interfering with the fielder making the catch. Being hit by the throw is not an automatic out. Just saying …

As for the logic, @sstasik , another ticky-tacky way to “gain an advantage.”

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Careful there ... I didn't go back and re-read the whole thread, so we may have covered this already, but ...

... In NFHS, NCAA, and USA the runner is not out unless they run outside the lane AND interfere with the fielder taking the throw. Interference does not happen if the runner is simply hit by the the throw.

Can you give me a case play (or even just make up a scenario) where a runner is out of the lane and a throw hitting her doesn't interfere with the fielder taking the throw?

Does this mean a very bad throw should not be considered interference? Practically, how does that language actually mean something that would not result in an interference call every time?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478