Rotation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Help me understand your views better.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Timing/syncing the hands going back/down against the forward advance of the pelvis is what the goal is Imo. 2 moments of separation. the hands/shoulders/torso first and the pelvis/torso second in that order. sequencing those moves can make the launch sequence automatic. as long as the hips don’t rotate early

I agree the hands run the show. A long time ago I even called this a top down swing. Then a got side tracked and now I’m back where I started.

the thought is that the smaller segments take longer to get back to ‘square’ (farther to travel) so they need to sequence sooner. Since the pelvis has the shortest distance to travel it should load the latest. The hands having the longest distance to travel should load first.

I would only say to use the back/scap with what you call loading the hands.
View attachment 22745

edit: if you keep the energy inside the back leg, ‘loading‘ should stay in balance during the negative phase.

View attachment 22748

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Help me understand your views better.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

you will see the heel release on committal of their shift. The swing can still be delayed. But isn’t usually. I dont mind early reactive rotation, that’s slack removal.. some guys need to pull out more. bichette and Donaldson come to mind.

1625110158696.gif

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021
It amazes me how all of a sudden there are so many fancy ways of teaching the exact same thing with a swing. Everyone starts with issues. Some lunge forward. Some stay too far behind the back foot and have way too early of a finish with zero weight transfer (my DD when not concentrating). With her one swing is over the fence and next is a massively topped ground ball (she did just turn 12 for reference).

My point is that every individual hitter’s natural or poorly taught swing will require a different approach. There is no single right way to explain a proper swing when teaching youth that is always the best. As they grow it gets more finite. Eye test beats any single hitting philosophy with the younger girls.

You line up top ball players swings over the years. Different pitches and locations in different counts. But you will find a common desired point of contact with almost identical body movement for a pitch in the same zone. How you get there depends on the individual. My thought which is free. So take it for what it’s worth.

There are a few exceptions. But they are physical phenoms. Ohtani is one of them. Teach that as seen at your own risk.

Jun 8, 2016
Everyone starts with issues. Some lunge forward. Some stay too far behind the back foot and have way too early of a finish with zero weight transfer (my DD when not concentrating). With her one swing is over the fence and next is a massively topped ground ball (she did just turn 12 for reference).
I agree. At the younger ages teaching them to move out properly is paramount. As they get older refine if necessary. This is basically Doug Latta’s philosophy with young kids.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
W=W and TDS

Do you think both feet have to be on the ground, both heels, to rotate correctly? The start of rotation.

Shawn, no both feet don't need to be on the ground but is optimal for max leverage.. Griff, Bonds, etc. These guys are proactive in their approach to beat the pitcher to their position.. These guys all get vulnerable in a hitters count. They are shifting to then swing (COM not shifting across the pelvis to the lead leg).

AlalH0c.png

MkGswH3.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
289nate

That isn’t the reality of hitting. Style is one thing, knowing exactly what your teaching is another thing.

In Mankin’s latest dvd, John says a hitter he is coaching in the dvd, swing will clean itself up as he gets older. The reality is the swing sucks and it will continue to suck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13