10U Rotation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2023
I have an older 10 who will be dominate for us as a pitcher this year. We have three younger 9’s who are still trying to figure out how to throw strikes. They’re getting better each week, but just young and new to pitching. How would you all suggest a rotation in that scenario? We’re a travel team. I’ve had some say not to pitch our ace until bracket play, others say to keep a pitch count on them and don’t let them exceed that. I don’t want our ace to be cold going into bracket play then expect the world from her when she hasn’t pitched all day. Suggestions?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
At this age, everyone is still trying to figure out how to play the game. You can give your "Ace" some innings during pool play. She needs to face live batters too even if she is considered your #1. For pool play, each pitcher should get some circle time. Doesn't have to be equal. During bracket play, consider your opponent and make your decision based on the level of competition. If you are playing a weaker team, start one of the other pitchers. You can always bring in another pitcher. I started a weaker pitcher against the strongest team we ever played, and that kept them off balance and only lost 3-0, instead of getting run ruled like the previous 3 meetings.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I have an older 10 who will be dominate for us as a pitcher this year. We have three younger 9’s who are still trying to figure out how to throw strikes. They’re getting better each week, but just young and new to pitching. How would you all suggest a rotation in that scenario? We’re a travel team. I’ve had some say not to pitch our ace until bracket play, others say to keep a pitch count on them and don’t let them exceed that. I don’t want our ace to be cold going into bracket play then expect the world from her when she hasn’t pitched all day. Suggestions?
All Pool games always use 2 pitchers. Tell everyone upfront what you are going to do, even if it is for just one inning. If it is 3 pool games that is 6 pitching slots to fill. You can have the older 10(or your #2 pitcher)play in more pool games but not pitch that much in any one game. You want every pitcher to know they will be asked to pitch and they need to keep working at home to improve.

Will this plan make anyone happy, from what I can tell of 10u parents, no. But it is the best way to show you are a fair coach who is trying to grow the talent. Having more physically developed players and the 2-year age range hurts the development of pitchers. One year you play the big fish then next year you play the small fish because of how the leagues are set up.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023
I think it depends what "still trying to figure out how to throw strikes" means. If they can't throw strikes at all, then they're not a pitcher yet, in my opinion.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We usually started our best pitcher to get out of the 1st inning then brought in 1 or more of the other pitchers.

If go sideways you always put your best P back out there.

DD has been pounded which made her work harder so not always a bad thing to have a rough outing.

Jan 1, 2024
All Pool games always use 2 pitchers. Tell everyone upfront what you are going to do, even if it is for just one inning. If it is 3 pool games that is 6 pitching slots to fill. You can have the older 10(or your #2 pitcher)play in more pool games but not pitch that much in any one game. You want every pitcher to know they will be asked to pitch and they need to keep working at home to improve.

Will this plan make anyone happy, from what I can tell of 10u parents, no. But it is the best way to show you are a fair coach who is trying to grow the talent. Having more physically developed players and the 2-year age range hurts the development of pitchers. One year you play the big fish then next year you play the small fish because of how the leagues are set up.
Excellent advice. This sort of strategy develops talent and helps keeps players healthy. Parents should avoid "win at all costs" coaches who ride the ace to the point of burning them out or ruining their arm!

Oct 4, 2018

Agreed.

While coaching shouldn't be about keeping parents happy, sadly it's part of it. And you want to keep your girls happy, which often comes from keeping parents happy.

Every pitcher should get to pitch some. This means you'll lose games you might have won if you used your pitchers differently. And that might upset some other group of parents.

So you let them know up front what the plan is. You emphasize this team is about development. You let the girls know they'll all pitch pool games and they should be working hard to improve. And that the best pitchers will get to pitch more bracket games. And if a pitcher (or her parents) want to pitch more bracket games, they know they need to prove themselves in pool games.

May 13, 2021
I didn’t really like the we are going to use a bunch of pitchers every game. It just increase the amount of warm up pitches thrown by each of them. Which can add up to a lot over the course of a tournament. If my DD was #1 and we knew she was going to pitch more than anyone else once we get to bracket play I would rather she didn’t pitch in pool play. You should never start a game cold as a pitcher, that is what warm up is for, if you are not sweating you are not warmed up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles