Rotation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Is it all about rotation or is there something more to the swing?

giphy.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
rotation should happen in between the feet. No leaks. It’s should be reactive.

the hands/upper going back and closed against the hips/lower coming forward and closed creates the rotation from the middle.

top launch against the lowers advance/ resistance. Once the slack is out of the hips.

I think it’s automatic when the hitter knows what they ‘swing’ with and HOW to stay closed.

1624991000133.gif

Reactions: TDS
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Timing/syncing the hands going back/down against the forward advance of the pelvis is what the goal is Imo. 2 moments of separation. the hands/shoulders/torso first and the pelvis/torso second in that order. sequencing those moves can make the launch sequence automatic. as long as the hips don’t rotate early.

the thought is that the smaller segments take longer to get back to ‘square’ (farther to travel) so they need to sequence sooner. Since the pelvis has the shortest distance to travel it should load the latest. The hands having the longest distance to travel should load first.

1625063240517.gif

edit: if you keep the energy inside the back leg, ‘loading‘ should stay in balance during the negative phase.

1625064626028.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What intrigues me about this gif is the gathering. he gets back which turns into behind him, controlled and balanced. Notice the head, still As he gets back.

1625063907740.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
W=W and TDS

Do you think both feet have to be on the ground, both heels, to rotate correctly? The start of rotation.

the upper needs stability to rotate well on top of the lower. So yes both feet in the ground is optimal. Or you will need to use another power source. Like casting.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
W=W

Do you believe in rotating into foot plant?

The Griffey swing you posted, it looks like there is an adjustment happening to me and he takes it the other way. So both feet are on the ground.

I’m a believer in preparing the movement before it happens, some call it a running start. It’s the same idea as preparing to swing on every pitch.

I have a ton of swings of Griffey and it looks like he is making an adjustment in that swing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott