Roster quest: 5 teams or 6?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Coaching rec ball is about teaching basic softball skills in a manner that is safe and fun, so to give a solid foundation where the player can develop a love of the sport. Don't expect anything of parents, expect to do the teaching yourself, and any help along the way will be gravy.

-W

Feb 3, 2011
The league decided to keep it at 5 teams, because neither of the coaching pairs was willing to split. So, I didn't even get to bring up the possibility of creating a liberal borrowing policy. Turns out the one dad who was originally willing to go solo has even less experience than I do, as his daughter is a 1st-year player.

I may not bring the player-borrowing concept to the next board meeting, but will do so later in the year, for sure, as we look ahead for ways to really grow the league from this point.

Thanks for the tip on the masks, Mark. One of the other coaches told me she requires a mask on her pitchers and 3B. She's got the oldest team, but plans to keep that requirement in place, so we may go that route, too.

Another thing I learned last night is that there's no rule requiring equivalent innings for all players at this level. This is a big deal for me and I don't like that. But, I plan to let our parents know from the start that we're not going to simply rotate the weaker players in the outfield. We're a REC league team and we're going to play it straight, regardless of what other teams do.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I also highly recommend fielding masks for all infielders, especially the pitcher. Two years ago a coaches daugher who was pitching got hit and broke a bone in her face. She healed OK but has never returned to playing due to fear of getting hit. I don't have the authority to require them but I noticed last year that by the end of the seaons most of the girls on my DDs 10U team had started wearing one after seeing more hard hid balls.

We also don't have fielding requirements but I had a policy that every player got at least one infield inning per game which meant even the all stars spent at least one inning in the outfield (I had 13 on my team). I did adjust this policy somewhat during the playoffs. I would recommend you tell the parents up front how you are planning to do this and then stick to it. You are more likely to get static from the all star's parents then from the inexperienced girl's parents.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I also highly recommend fielding masks for all infielders, especially the pitcher. Two years ago a coaches daugher who was pitching got hit and broke a bone in her face. She healed OK but has never returned to playing due to fear of getting hit. I don't have the authority to require them but I noticed last year that by the end of the seaons most of the girls on my DDs 10U team had started wearing one after seeing more hard hid balls.

We also don't have fielding requirements but I had a policy that every player got at least one infield inning per game which meant even the all stars spent at least one inning in the outfield (I had 13 on my team). I did adjust this policy somewhat during the playoffs. I would recommend you tell the parents up front how you are planning to do this and then stick to it. You are more likely to get static from the all star's parents then from the inexperienced girl's parents.

Seems to me that you have the authority to make it a policy if you choose to - just something to think about. FWIW, BB or SB, I never put a kid in the IF until they showed that they could pay attention and were comfortable (but not necessarily proficient or effective!) fielding in practice. Quickest way to turn someone off to the game forever is to put them in a position where they are scared or get hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom