Rise ball questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
You will find that her speed will increase to around 40-42. With good spin, I see rise speed start anywhere from 15- 20% slower than the fastball. Eventually it will improve to anywhere from about 5-15% slower.

The cool thing about a good backspin rise is that a mistake in spin results in a higher speed which helps keep it up.

Jul 22, 2015
Chelsea Wilkinson
Yep! She was fun to watch. DD had a similar rise that was pretty unique compared to what hitters normally saw. The speed difference caused hitters to be in front even if she missed her spot. Odd side note: although she never tried to throw it as a low rise, when she missed it low I never saw a batter swing at it. Took it for a strike every time. Something about the combination of spin and slower speed really seemed to fool them. She never felt comfortable with throwing it there on purpose though.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
She isn’t a flame thrower by any means at this point. She just turned 12 and her fastball is around 47-48. But the rise ball (thumb off grip) was at about 35-37 most of the time. I was just really surprised at the difference in speed. It is basically the same speed as her change up.

I appreciate all the responses in this thread. We will keep working on it and see where it goes. I was just hesitant to have her throwing something slow that stayed high in the strike zone. But that may evolve over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will speed up as she gets more comfortable. Just be patient and don't push the speed so much that she loses proper spin.

Oct 4, 2018
She isn’t a flame thrower by any means at this point. She just turned 12 and her fastball is around 47-48. But the rise ball (thumb off grip) was at about 35-37 most of the time. I was just really surprised at the difference in speed. It is basically the same speed as her change up.

I appreciate all the responses in this thread. We will keep working on it and see where it goes. I was just hesitant to have her throwing something slow that stayed high in the strike zone. But that may evolve over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every pitcher's path is different. My 12U DD throws in the 50s but hasn't been taught the rise yet. Just finished getting the curve solid and now moving to the screwball.

I'm not a huge believer in the screwball, but after listening to the instructor I get it. The spin is coming more from the body angle than the arm.

Aug 21, 2008
Every pitcher's path is different. My 12U DD throws in the 50s but hasn't been taught the rise yet. Just finished getting the curve solid and now moving to the screwball.

I'm not a huge believer in the screwball, but after listening to the instructor I get it. The spin is coming more from the body angle than the arm.
So if you know (correctly I might add) that the pitch is bogus, thrown at an angle instead of moving by spin, then why bother? Your kid can work on throwing inside (rise and drop) and have the same effect. Moreover, the more time spent doing all these things for a "screwball" is going to make working on the riseball even more difficult.

Oct 4, 2018
So if you know (correctly I might add) that the pitch is bogus, thrown at an angle instead of moving by spin, then why bother? Your kid can work on throwing inside (rise and drop) and have the same effect. Moreover, the more time spent doing all these things for a "screwball" is going to make working on the riseball even more difficult.

A few reasons:

1. She learned the pitch in 10 minutes
2. It's a very small change to her standard fastball mechanics
3. It does cut in some (more than any other pitch)

Basically, I'm saying I have an open mind and my mind has been changed. If I (or anyone else wants to) finds any footage of the pitch, happy to share it with you.

Oct 14, 2019
A few reasons:

1. She learned the pitch in 10 minutes
2. It's a very small change to her standard fastball mechanics
3. It does cut in some (more than any other pitch)

Basically, I'm saying I have an open mind and my mind has been changed. If I (or anyone else wants to) finds any footage of the pitch, happy to share it with you.
Same experience for DD. She watched a video on youtube and starting experimenting. The form is basically opposite of her turnover drop. As a RHP, she flips her wrist to the right. The pitch has good speed and tails inward to the RHB. I don’t care what you call it - it’s an effective pitch. It took very little time to learn.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't want to 'dis' anyone but I have lost count of the number of parents and pitchers who have shown me their breaking pitches, which don't spin the way they are supposed to and don't break. When it comes to the screwball seeing is believing and in 15 years of attending college (all divisions), high school and traveI games I still haven't seen one worth talking about.

Aug 21, 2008
I don't want to 'dis' anyone but I have lost count of the number of parents and pitchers who have shown me their breaking pitches, which don't spin the way they are supposed to and don't break. When it comes to the screwball seeing is believing and in 15 years of attending college (all divisions), high school and traveI games I still haven't seen one worth talking about.
I agree. I've said this before but, I used to be a pretty ok pitcher. And despite my best efforts I couldn't spin the ball in opposite direction for it to "break" inward. And believe me I tried.

If you wanna talk the benefits of throwing inside to RHB and outside to LHB, I'll do that all day long. But lets be honest about what the ball is doing (or isn't doing). Stepping left and throwing right is no more a movement pitch than a pitcher in slow-pitch is throwing a rise (or drop) from throwing the ball high in the air.

I just can't understand.

Jun 20, 2015
far longer ago than i care to admit, I was asked to help at a large tryout and warm up pitchers. not a problem. bucket and glove no worries.

young lady proceeds to tell me all about the 7 different pitches she has and starts to warm them all up. 15 mins go by.... Was I wrong to shout "Whenever you want to throw something that's not fastball down the middle, I'm ready"??? Boy was that one lady watching upset with me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA