Retiring the old gloves

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Well, after 6 years of buying gear for DD, DS and their respective softball/baseball teams, it was time to get something for me!

20191008_131843.jpg

So many years of playing and coaching, and now my "babies" are ready to sit on a shelf. Old Rawlings Reggie Jackson model RBG36 or similar, and a Mizuno "professional model" 1B glove. The Mizuno is about 30+ yrs old, and the my dad bought me the Reggie glove circa 1980. Both have seen a LOT of playing time, but it was time for some new leather (probably a decade or more ago).

BIG thanks to @ANNASDAD who helped me tremendously offline on the selection process (and everyone who contributed to the numerous glove threads over the last few months)!!! Needed a "last-glove-of-my-life" buy that would each work for both softball and baseball, and both OF and 1B, without killing me financially, and keeping the divorce attorneys away. All in, thanks to the Wilson 1-day sale, and SBF for the DCT, I think I skated in just shy of 4 bills for both gloves.

So, without further ado, I present to you the new Rawlings HOH PRODCTHT #72, and the already-made-a-similar-appearance on @jmatw 's post, the A2000 1799.

20191008_132129.jpg

Handstall on the 1799 is like driving a cushy Cadillac! Has me toying with the idea of going TIP, especially with how tight it is. DCT is more snug, but still has enough room for big hands, but not nearly as much room as the 1799. Can't do TIP with the DCT. Both will need a lot of throws to get loose!
Definitely not for someone who is looking to walk on the field with a new glove and expect to be successful on day one!

Now, I just need a few weeks off of work so I can break the beasts in. They are beautiful, and, as advertised, built to last. They may well make it to my kids' kids in the end!

20191008_132224.jpg20191008_132300.jpg20191008_132314.jpg20191008_132402.jpg20191008_132416.jpg20191008_132431.jpg

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I was actually driving earlier when I first posted, but I was at a stoplight. ;)

So are you saying the hand stall on the 1799 is large or not? Maybe I’m not understanding the way you worded that? Remember, you can change that 1799 from a 6-loop opening to a 5-loop opening with a small procedure, or if you’re uneasy doing it I can recommend you a couple of names to do it.

The 1799 worn TIP is a perfect baseball glove for softball outfield! And I’ve got to say, that Wilson Orange-Tan is exceptional, love it with the gold stitching!

If the 1799 opening is too large, try re-lacing the wrist first.

l’ve recommended that Horween DCT so many times here, I *think* you’re the first one to actually buy one? I just noticed it has hand sewn welt........beautiful!!

So what is that old GM square body truck those gloves are sitting on?

Jan 8, 2019
Hand stall on the 1799 is large, but not too large. I like it, and I think if I were to tighten it up, it would be too snug. The DCT is snug without being tight, and on a 1B glove, I like that reinforcement.

20191008_193622.jpg
20191008_193553.jpg

The OT is growing on me. It's especially nice out in the sun. At first, I wasn't so sure; it didn't help that the first words out of DD's, DS's, and DW's mouths were "It's orrrrannnge!", and being so close to Halloween with the OT and the black laces fed the fire. They're over it now.

I have to say that if the 1799 were the only glove I bought to replace my old two, I would have been happy. But I really can't wait to take some throws with the DCT. It's like getting a bike for Christmas and having to eat breakfast before you're allowed to go ride it! It's going to be a fun weekend!

And, '75 Chevy K5 Blazer. I was going to do the hood shot, but it is embarrassingly dirty, and I didn't want the Rawlings black bag to be covered in dirt quite yet.

Blazer.PNG

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
If you ever wanted to sell the DCT (or that K5 Blazer), it won’t be a problem, in fact it’ll be pretty easy!

Back in the day K5’s were a dime a dozen, can’t find them now that’s not rusted to death or priced just stupid, yours looks very nice! I’ve always loved K5 Blazers!

That whole generation (73-87) is highly sought after now! ($$)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019
Maybe I can deduct them both off taxes as a retirement plan! ;)

Neither will be for sale anytime soon! Definitely not the Blazer! It's a fun truck, but needs some work right now. (Sounds like me and these new gloves.)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
You’re missing a good smaller infield glove for baseball, your son needs you to get one, maybe he can convince the wife ;). You know, to round out the collection and cover all the bases!

Here’s a nice one!

And Rawlings just brought back the ProNP5PRO Spring Training glove, nice!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06