Question to DFP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
IMO usually this info would get back to the coaches by word of mouth or social media or in our area the paper and a paper called Just Busted prints name and pictures of arrest for anyone 17 YO or older.

DD college does random drug testing and usually any player testing positive serves a suspension for a few games repeated offences can get one expelled from the team.

JMO one offence should not pet a player removed from a team, a young person you want to help to get on the strait and narrow.

If it was me I and I was evolved I would just let human nature take it course and encourage the kid and her parents to get her help.

As a coach of a 12U rec-team A player had gotten caught taking her moms pills to school, taking and selling them. The school had a no tolerance policy and she was kicked out of school, the rec would not allow me to suspend her for any games or provide any punishment.

It ended up with her having the attitude she could get away with anything as far as the team was concerned and ended up bad for her and the team.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
If this is a systematic problem, it will likely affect behavior and GPA, so TB coach will catch on anyway.
Around here, it's unlikely that word of a big suspension would not reach TB coach through the school staff grapevine.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I wouldn't say a word. Yes, as a coach, I'd prefer someone to give me a heads up, but wouldn't really expect it from anyone other than her parents.

I can't think of any good at all that could come out of you getting involved.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Unfortunately given some of the draconian zero tolerance BS in schools, the substance in question could be anything from aspirin to heroin.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A college coach, should be able to tell, if a student gets 21 days of zeros. If a TB coach is watching grades, she/he will notice, too.

Hopefully, this young lady stay in softball and decide that goofing around isn't worth it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I don't know about your local softball community, but I guarantee here that sort of news would be known by everyone about an hour after it happened.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Unfortunately given some of the draconian zero tolerance BS in schools, the substance in question could be anything from aspirin to heroin.

No doubt. My DD was written up for having 2 Aleve in her bag. The bag contained a note from her parents stating what it was for and the contents and quantity in the bag. We called the school to let them know about her muscle strain before sending it with her. They never said we couldn't. 2 days later they did a random bag search on several kids and hauled mine up to the office like a drug dealer.

Feb 3, 2011
Although I cannot recommend venturing out of your lane, I can see it being dependent on what your relationship is with the other coach. If there is none, then there's nothing for you to say at all. If the player or her parents elect to notify the coach, it's not your concern.

I know she was suspended, but I don't know what the alleged substance was, nor do I know whether the player was guilty of what the school claims she was. Of course, with the messaging kids receive from the time they're born these days, I'm almost surprised when I stumble across a non-addict.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
These days the various policies, including Zero Intelligence Policies (what they call Zero Tolerance) are designed to destroy the lives of kids who maybe made one mistake.

Two true stories, both in high schools in Madison.

Case 1: A local HS girl, real goody two-shoes, never been in trouble in her life, straight A student, star freshie on her school's volleyball team, was getting ready for a football game later that day. She took some of her parents' vodka to school to share with friends. Her father found out, and said don't drink the vodka, I will come and get it. A "friend" reported her to the school office. She was expelled. That's right, not suspended but EXPELLED for her first offense. Her family went to a local newspaper, which put the story on the front page, and put a lot of pressure on the school board.

The school board bowed to the pressure, and put together a more intelligent policy, realizing it made no sense to simply suspend or expel students who needed help.

The girl was then re-admitted to her HS.

Case 2: A group of girls from a different HS, some of whom may have played softball at some point (in case you are wondering how I heard of it) went to a HS football game together. On their way in, a group of boys were passing around some alcohol, and asked the girls if they wanted some. Several of the girls drank.

One of the girls, a real goody-two shoes, A- student, never been in trouble in her life, never even drank a drop of alcohol in her life before, had no idea how much to drink, and drank more than she should have. She was the only one of the group who got caught. She was given a warning, some school mandated counseling (turns out she was having some problems in her life), and sent on her way. She got straight A's that term, for the first time in her life.

Which way of handling the situation do you think was correct? Case 1 with the Zero Tolerance, or Case 2 with a warning and counseling?

Edit to add: the second case was shortly after the school board dropped the Zero Tolerance policy, which is why the girl was given counseling instead of a suspension.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face

Agree. I remember my older brother had a "wildlife" class in HS. Pretty much a fancy name for a hunting club. Hunting before school, then guns stored in the trucks in the parking lot, or you could have an administrator bring it into the class for cleaning. Today the Swat team would be called, the FBI, school would be locked down. Sad how society has changed.