Quality Glove for 9yr old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
South carolina
My 9yr old daughter is playing softball for the first time. She has been asked to play on a travel team and I want to get her a good glove that will fit her small hand. She plays third base. I would like to get her a good quality glove. I would appreciate suggestions from others who have already been through this search.

Thank you.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I like Mizuno gloves for kids. They're good quality, and many of the models tend to come pretty soft so you can avoid the break-in period. Because they come soft they don't last quite as long as stiffer gloves, but her hands will grow before the glove wears out anyway.

May 17, 2011
I bought my daughter the Louisville Valkyrie 12".
It is made from steerhide with nice padding on the palm. It is not too heavy.
It has held up really well. The glove can accomodate an 11" or 12"
Ball.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I love Mizuno gloves as well - their cathcer's mitt is the one all the catchers use in our organization.

That said - their fielder's gloves do seem to break down quicker than other gloves if they are playing and practicing a lot. My daughter went to an Akadema Fastpitch AJB74 which is a better glove for a very reasonable price. Took a few weeks of practice to break into game shape but now she says it is awesome.

Akadema Fastpitch Series: AJB74 With FREE Glove Bag

Edit: Just read the post again. First time player (in travel?) - buy the mid-range Mizuno

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
My DD is now 12. She had an Easton Black Magic for t-ball, but ever since she has been using Mizuno fielders gloves. She started out with the less expensive Prospects, and is now using a mid-range GMVP1209(?) and recently went to a Mizuno catcher's mitt too. We'll probably pick up something a bit bigger one of these days--for when she's playing in the outfield, and it may well be a Mizuno also. I think the Mizunos are great for young girls. (I keep two of her old 11.5 inch Prospects lying around and they're what I use when I play catch with her. I have small hands.)

By the way, if you buy a Mizuno glove from a retailer with a Mizuno steamer, they will usually steam it for free (and will steam other brands for a fee). May not be necessary with the game-ready gloves, but something to be aware of if you pick up something in a stiffer leather.

Jun 12, 2012
I love Mizuno gloves as well - their cathcer's mitt is the one all the catchers use in our organization.

That said - their fielder's gloves do seem to break down quicker than other gloves if they are playing and practicing a lot. My daughter went to an Akadema Fastpitch AJB74 which is a better glove for a very reasonable price. Took a few weeks of practice to break into game shape but now she says it is awesome.

Akadema Fastpitch Series: AJB74 With FREE Glove Bag

Edit: Just read the post again. First time player (in travel?) - buy the mid-range Mizuno

How is the pocket in that Akadema? Also how old is your daughter? I've been deciding between this, the Mizuno MVP or the Vinci (nicer, but more expensive) for my 8y/o but haven't been able to find one in a store to try it on.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
How is the pocket in that Akadema? Also how old is your daughter? I've been deciding between this, the Mizuno MVP or the Vinci (nicer, but more expensive) for my 8y/o but haven't been able to find one in a store to try it on.

The Akadema is now several months old and fully broken in. The pocket is excellent and the glove is really nice. It is a glove that needs a good break in - it is not something you buy and play with that day.

My DD is 10 and is playing on a 10UA travel team currently.

(It is also the only Akadema on her team so she likes that she can easily identify her glove.)

Jun 12, 2012
Thanks. I can pick one up for about te same price as a Mizuno MVP. I'm good with a long break in. I'm actually getting it for her to use next year when she moves up to the bigger 11" ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06