potentially interesting current event....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
High School coaches usually are prohibited from telling their players what to do. Mostly for political reasons others do not understand. So no, a high school coach will not explicitly explain the consequences of certain behavior. They have had a bunch of experience with this slippery slope, and know better.

They do tell players what they think in different ways. So listen to them, and put two and two together, and accept the consequences.

A more common example is during spring high school softball playoffs. Many players want to get an early jump on travel softball, and recruiting. The high school discourages playoff bound players from playing travel softball until the HS season is over. They will not say players "can't". They also will not specifically say it is "discouraged". What they will say is we "prefer" you only focus on the high school team, until the high school season is over.

But players do not listen. They and their parents decide to go to the travel softball tourney, instead of getting the "rest" the high school coaches recommend for the extremely vital (to them) playoff run. The players think they are in the clear ... but are they?

This is what will happen. The high school playoffs start anew. The high school coaches say to themselves "Miss travel girl looks tired tonight, maybe we should play a player more rested". This is exactly how it works my friends. High School coaches are required to speak in a most respectful language because they represent the school. That in no way means they do not get their message across, and there WILL be consequences.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
This is tough. I understand the VB coach's position (I have always coached that in-season sports take priority). I can also see the TB view of things (although I personally don't like the "you cannot play HS sports because we are too busy). There are quite a few TB Teams that I know that tell the players the same thing, and many kids quit playing VB or BB because of it.

Jul 2, 2013
This is tough. I understand the VB coach's position (I have always coached that in-season sports take priority). I can also see the TB view of things (although I personally don't like the "you cannot play HS sports because we are too busy). There are quite a few TB Teams that I know that tell the players the same thing, and many kids quit playing VB or BB because of it.

The Big Travel Org's and the Big High School's are at odds over these softball players. It is a tug-of-war of sorts. This bothers me more than anything as it puts the high level softball player in a terrible dilemma. I have seen it, do not like it, especially when the super player is burning the candle at both ends, and even worse when injury and wear and tear is involved.

My player prefers high school softball, over big org. travel softball. We were on a big org. travel team once, but due to the continual conflict we decided to join the travel team (much smaller) preferred by the HS coaches.

We have seen some of the past players on the high school team who much prefer the big org. travel folks. Though they are great, great softball players, my direct experience is they do not always have the best attitude (not really HS team players) in the clubhouse, or on the bus.

Wish it was not that way. Only getting worse.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
RB - I think you've made it very clear to us and to the HS VB coach that SB is your DD's top priority. Although they may not be as good as your DD, the travel VB players have made it clear to the HS VB coach that VB is their top priority. There are some people that would praise this coach because he is not chasing Ws at all costs, but teaching life lessons by rewarding those that have demonstrated a greater commitment to the team/sport than your DD.

Congrats and good luck to your DD in her future college SB career!

PS Just wanted to note for the benefit of others who might face a similar situation (i.e., a multi-sport athlete who can't or doesn't want to have to choose between sports), at many D3 schools you can be a multi-sport athlete.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
High School coaches usually are prohibited from telling their players what to do. Mostly for political reasons others do not understand. So no, a high school coach will not explicitly explain the consequences of certain behavior. They have had a bunch of experience with this slippery slope, and know better.

They do tell players what they think in different ways. So listen to them, and put two and two together, and accept the consequences.

A more common example is during spring high school softball playoffs. Many players want to get an early jump on travel softball, and recruiting. The high school discourages playoff bound players from playing travel softball until the HS season is over. They will not say players "can't". They also will not specifically say it is "discouraged". What they will say is we "prefer" you only focus on the high school team, until the high school season is over.

But players do not listen. They and their parents decide to go to the travel softball tourney, instead of getting the "rest" the high school coaches recommend for the extremely vital (to them) playoff run. The players think they are in the clear ... but are they?

This is what will happen. The high school playoffs start anew. The high school coaches say to themselves "Miss travel girl looks tired tonight, maybe we should play a player more rested". This is exactly how it works my friends. High School coaches are required to speak in a most respectful language because they represent the school. That in no way means they do not get their message across, and there WILL be consequences.

Please forward a copy of this memo, apparently not all the local HS coaches around here were included on the initial distribution list!

PS - In many states there is strictly enforced blackout period where players can't practice or play on outside teams until that sport's season has concluded.

Jun 1, 2013
This is not HS ball vs TB ball. It is college vs hs...... Miss out on one of her first college teams meet and greet or whatever vs sitting on the bench with limited playing time for HS volleyball.
RB, personally when the coach said let someone else get theirs, I would have gently explained to DD exactly what that meant. I think maybe he is trying to help the other girls get somewhere. Anyway, at that point you know she is not gonna get her playing time.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here is the message she will be sending the college coach:

"Yeah, my HS team is playing in the state tournament. But, I'm not going to let a coach push *ME* around. I mean, come on, why should I care about my team? If a team event interferes with something I want to do, I just walk out on the team."​

And, obviously, any coach who takes a team of talentless overachievers to the state semi-finals *CLEARLY* doesn't know how to coach...

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Go for the ring. Ride the bench. Cheer, clap, support, give your friends a glass of water. Be the coach on the bench. Those #1 state championship rings are hard to come by.

Jul 2, 2013
Please forward a copy of this memo, apparently not all the local HS coaches around here were included on the initial distribution list!

PS - In many states there is strictly enforced blackout period where players can't practice or play on outside teams until that sport's season has concluded.

Yeah, I get it.

Our state does not have a blackout rule. In 7th grade, while also playing 12U A Level travel ball, we played most weekends during JV softball season. It was the best thing for her. This issue never came up as it was only JV HS softball.

Once on Varsity, the rules changed, mostly due to the potential to injury.

I also understand some HS Coaches think they can say whatever they want. For a highly ranked state team, and sometimes nationally rank HS softball team, the coaches fully understand any and all words spoken can and will be used against them. Every season they have a disgruntled set of players parents sitting in the Athletics Directors office spewing every single word, translated to their benefit, to bash the coach who did not play their DD enough.

The HS coaches learn very quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing