play 12u or 14u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
The good 00-01 teams in Central Florida are playing 16U/HS and the strong 01-02 teams are playing 14U. They may play back down for a big tournament or nationals but strong teams regularly play up. They would rather lose playing up than win playing down.

Agreed. The best fit would be an 02 team that plays local 14u and 12u in the bigger regional and national tournaments.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Pitchers need to throw against the best hitters possible. ....

Thanks, RB. Good post. Just so my question didn't sound too basic, I understand the concept of playing vs. better teams/competition. Was mostly curious about fact you said ''especially pitchers.'' Wondered if you felt that position players and hitters can survive longer playing w/ same age because of the theory that fielding and baserunning are not that much different. But makes sense that pitching/hitting would be most important.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I don't know if you need to learn all of life lessons at 12u. It is more important for a 12u to work on her own pitching then what happens with the team. You generally can't practice your new pitches in games. We have a pitcher in HS league that I got to see a lot when younger, because everyone touted her as the next big thing. She was dominant at 12u, but never stopped to learn pitches, with winning games being her priority (which she did!). She is in HS and getting shelled.

Through the years I have found that pool play on Saturday is the optimal place to practice new pitches. You can't perfect them in the bullpen.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Rise:
Most coaches can't call 2 pitches at 12u, never mind other pitches; I am not sure they know what they are. And they want to win pool games for seeding or play their own DDs at pitcher. Or they fear WP and PBs. So if you have a good smart coach with good DD, well she can practice new pitches.

Another school in my district's ace still never gets to pitch in TB at 16-18u in place of coaches DD......I know her family. They have switched three times and still get Daddy ball. She has not learned a new pitch in 2 years and it will hurt her as a senior this year.

So if you can't work on pitches non-games, then how are those PCs so booked with lessons every week of the year?

Unfortunately it sounds like softball is pretty much crap where you live. That's too bad.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That's not TOO obnoxious. THANKS from those of us who are not lucky enough to live in FL and therefore play and coach crappy softball!

Did not mean to offend anyone. Please go back and read some of the posts by OLIF and see if you are not left with the same impression. Not much is right and many things are wrong. It is truly unfortunate that softball is so dysfunctional in OLIF's realm.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Did not mean to offend anyone. Please go back and read some of the posts by OLIF and see if you are not left with the same impression. Not much is right and many things are wrong. It is truly unfortunate that softball is so dysfunctional in OLIF's realm.

Pretty much OILF is the DFP pessimist...

While I agree in our rec league not all coaches know how to call many pitches, some do and are well above the others in ability. It goes back to the 80/20 rule. 20% of the people are making 80% of the money, doing the work, etc. 20% are learning and growing the game and 80% are just riding along or using old school thinking. I think OILF hangs out with 80's quite a bit.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Pretty much OILF is the DFP pessimist...

While I agree in our rec league not all coaches know how to call many pitches, some do and are well above the others in ability. It goes back to the 80/20 rule. 20% of the people are making 80% of the money, doing the work, etc. 20% are learning and growing the game and 80% are just riding along or using old school thinking. I think OILF hangs out with 80's quite a bit.

While I generally agree w/ your 80/20 rule of thumb, given the benefit of the doubt its 2% at best that have any clue about calling pitches IME.