Pitch speed progression

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
Does anyone know the pitch speed progression, that you use to determine where speed faults are? For example walk through should be 105% of mound speed. K’s or motion k’s should be x%?

Jun 20, 2016
I never thought of it in percentages to be honest I have them go through their progression with a little more intention then just pitch speed or force applied. For instance. I do a couple progression with K's understanding what the arm is doing in relation to the body. Then I have them step into a full circle pitch again full speed isn't the goal however by the end of that drill I want them aggressively pulling into their pitches. The last thing we do before actually pitching is walk thru's and we do these as aggressively as possible while still maintaining form/posture whatever you want to call it. Again though its not about speed progression its more about maintaining proper mechanics through the motion.....

Often times with new pitchers or girls struggling mechanically we will go through our entire progression never getting above 70-80% of their actual velocity. I learned a long time ago that throwing hard for the sake of throwing hard without a good understanding of what your body is doing. Will cause bad form and set a pitcher back.

Apr 17, 2019
I never thought of it in percentages to be honest I have them go through their progression with a little more intention then just pitch speed or force applied. For instance. I do a couple progression with K's understanding what the arm is doing in relation to the body. Then I have them step into a full circle pitch again full speed isn't the goal however by the end of that drill I want them aggressively pulling into their pitches. The last thing we do before actually pitching is walk thru's and we do these as aggressively as possible while still maintaining form/posture whatever you want to call it. Again though its not about speed progression its more about maintaining proper mechanics through the motion.....

Often times with new pitchers or girls struggling mechanically we will go through our entire progression never getting above 70-80% of their actual velocity. I learned a long time ago that throwing hard for the sake of throwing hard without a good understanding of what your body is doing. Will cause bad form and set a pitcher back.

I’m looking at it purely for speed and to analyze where my DD can improve to pick up speed.

Mar 10, 2020

Little more intention is what progression is. Why wouldn't you have considered progression of speed as part of that?

May 16, 2019
Speed development can be so elusive for some while others seem to be gifted with it. Age and development can definitely play a role. I've had some athletes that have a real desire for speed while others control and location was their focus. I have an incoming freshmen right now that wants as her goal to throw 60MPH (55 mph currently) . So, we work with the assumption that she physically is capable of throwing 60MPH and through improved mechanics and timing of her pitching sequence, we will reach that speed. Sorry if I went the wrong way from your question, speed development with athletes fascinates me. Just like improving sprinting speed. Good luck

Apr 17, 2019
Speed development can be so elusive for some while others seem to be gifted with it. Age and development can definitely play a role. I've had some athletes that have a real desire for speed while others control and location was their focus. I have an incoming freshmen right now that wants as her goal to throw 60MPH (55 mph currently) . So, we work with the assumption that she physically is capable of throwing 60MPH and through improved mechanics and timing of her pitching sequence, we will reach that speed. Sorry if I went the wrong way from your question, speed development with athletes fascinates me. Just like improving sprinting speed. Good luck
That’s pretty much the spot my DD is in, her goal is 60 by next spring. So we are doing the same thing, but I’m looking for what area of her mechanics can she improve on to get yo that speed. In other words I’m using the 3 or 4 things as a test to see where she needs the most improvement or where she can improve.

Our plan is lots of long toss, a few Rick Pauly drills for speeds as well, and some jband workouts for both core and upper body.

Apr 17, 2019
Here’s a videos from today and speed measurements.

K = 51
Motion K = 52
Walk Through = 54
Mound 53

She has hit 54 off the mound last fall, judging by the k and motion k numbers, I would expect her mound speed and walk through speed to be 55/57.

So maybe the issue is her leg drive is not explosive enough? She did bulk up this spring probably put on 20 lbs or so.

Jan 28, 2017
Rich Pauly has a percentage for almost every position including walk throughs but I can't find it at the moment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying