Pitch speed progression

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
Rich Pauly has a percentage for almost every position including walk throughs but I can't find it at the moment.
K = 90%
Parallel/Circle K= 93%
Walk Through = 105%

These are the numbers I have from a video of his, that’s where I got she should be throwing 55/57 off you the mound and walk throughs. I’m just not sure what the issue is, I’m wondering if the extra 20 lbs she put on she’s not getting the same drive she was when she was lighter.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here’s a videos from today and speed measurements.

So maybe the issue is her leg drive is not explosive enough? She did bulk up this spring probably put on 20 lbs or so.

No problem picking up a few MPH. Your pitcher's problem: Weak front side resistance (FSR).

Your pitcher's right leg come around in front of her after release. A big NO-NO.

Suppose you are driving 60MPH and had a brick on your dashboard. If you want the brick to fly through the wind shield, would you slow down gradually or slam on the brakes?

Pitching is mainly momentum transfer...the pitcher builds up a lot of momentum moving straight to the plate and then stops suddenly, and the body's momentum is transferred to the arm then to the hand and then to the ball.

The Queen of FSR is Whitney Canion of Baylor:

The queen of FSR was Whitney Canion of Baylor. Whitney was the best pitcher in the NCAA a few years ago. She is a lefty, so focus on her left leg. Where does her left leg go? NOWHERE. Perfect FSR.

Here is Samantha Show. Note the position of her right leg after release.

My suggestion: Use the Samantha Show as a training aid, and have her focus on the position of the right leg after release. Try to get your pitcher to do that, and she'll pick up 5MPH.

Apr 17, 2019
No problem picking up a few MPH. Your pitcher's problem: Weak front side resistance (FSR).

Your pitcher's right leg come around in front of her after release. A big NO-NO.

Suppose you are driving 60MPH and had a brick on your dashboard. If you want the brick to fly through the wind shield, would you slow down gradually or slam on the brakes?

Pitching is mainly momentum transfer...the pitcher builds up a lot of momentum moving straight to the plate and then stops suddenly, and the body's momentum is transferred to the arm then to the hand and then to the ball.

The Queen of FSR is Whitney Canion of Baylor:

The queen of FSR was Whitney Canion of Baylor. Whitney was the best pitcher in the NCAA a few years ago. She is a lefty, so focus on her left leg. Where does her left leg go? NOWHERE. Perfect FSR.

Here is Samantha Show. Note the position of her right leg after release.

My suggestion: Use the Samantha Show as a training aid, and have her focus on the position of the right leg after release. Try to get your pitcher to do that, and she'll pick up 5MPH.

Thanks we’ll start working on it, do you have any specific ways you like to work on this?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Show her this video of Jordan Bahl, OU's top pitcher.

Tell her to pay attention to the pitchers right leg. Show your pitcher the video of her. Tell her to focus on her right leg. Ask her what the difference is.

Then, do walk-throughs and have her focus FSR.

There are two kinds of walk-throughs--"normal" speed and "fast" speed. DFP friend Amanda Scarborough made this video for us which explains walk throughs.

Your pitcher's arm motion is very good, so don't mess with that.

Does your kid have a pitching coach?

Apr 17, 2019
Show her this video of Jordan Bahl, OU's top pitcher.

Tell her to pay attention to the pitchers right leg. Show your pitcher the video of her. Tell her to focus on her right leg. Ask her what the difference is.

Then, do walk-throughs and have her focus FSR.

There are two kinds of walk-throughs--"normal" speed and "fast" speed. DFP friend Amanda Scarborough made this video for us which explains walk throughs.

Your pitcher's arm motion is very good, so don't mess with that.

Does your kid have a pitching coach?

Thanks while jordy is very good she’s hard to watch with ball her antics lol.

So in short she needs to resist her hips rotating once she lands?

Ya she does, we’ve started working on driving harder/faster. I’ll bring up the front side resistance too.

Sep 15, 2015
So in short she needs to resist her hips rotating once she lands? .

I think it’s the opposite. “Front side resistance” means that the front leg braces or firms up between front foot strike and ball release. That’s mainly a function, in my opinion, of posture and how the trunk rotates. It’s not something that she can fix by trying to make her leg stiffer. She needs to get her weight back (as Slugger said, don’t take the step forward) and rotate better into release.

If you resist her hips rotating into release, it may just make the issue worse. Right now she appears to be under rotating. You can tell because the back foot never turns over. It stays on the side like a snow plow. Compare that to Bahl, whose back foot and knee go from pointing to third (at 10 o’clock) to pointed to the catcher (at release). That’s a result of her hips rotating as the ball moves through the last quarter of the circle. I think you want more hip rotation and not less.

Edited to add: many pitchers will stay on the side of the foot (like Show and Canion). It’s not an absolute to have the foot turn and the knee point to the catcher by any means. I just don’t think I would encourage less rotation given what your daughter is currently doing. IMG_1831.jpg
IMG_1830.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
I think it’s the opposite. “Front side resistance” means that the front leg braces or firms up between front foot strike and ball release. That’s mainly a function, in my opinion, of posture and how the trunk rotates. It’s not something that she can fix by trying to make her leg stiffer. She needs to get her weight back (as Slugger said, don’t take the step forward) and rotate better into release.

If you resist her hips rotating into release, it may just make the issue worse. Right now she appears to be under rotating. You can tell because the back foot never turns over. It stays on the side like a snow plow. Compare that to Bahl, whose back foot and knee go from pointing to third (at 10 o’clock) to pointed to the catcher (at release). That’s a result of her hips rotating as the ball moves through the last quarter of the circle. I think you want more hip rotation and not less.

Edited to add: many pitchers will stay on the side of the foot (like Show and Canion). It’s not an absolute to have the foot turn and the knee point to the catcher by any means. I just don’t think I would encourage less rotation given what your daughter is currently doing. View attachment 25871
View attachment 25872

Is this something that she is actively doing, jordy closing the hips, or is it a by product of forward momentum being resisted and her foot being up on her toe vs on its side?

My DD has always had an issue of the hips getting in the way of her arm coming through causing too far inside pitches. So she’s always been told to not let your hips turn so much, or to speed your arm up.

Sep 15, 2015
Is this something that she is actively doing, jordy closing the hips, or is it a by product of forward momentum being resisted and her foot being up on her toe vs on its side?

Movement is generally “proximal to distal,” so what the foot is doing is generally an effect and not a cause. The way my kid worked on this was to try to make her motion from 9 o’clock through release more like her swing. Hitters often finish in a posture similar to Mickey in the statue below. The front foot is closed at an angle. The hips are pointed at the catcher the back knee is stacked under the rear hip. The front leg is bracing up. The hitter completes the swing by falling back on the back foot—not traveling forward.

My daughter for a period just threw into a tarp, starting with the arm at 9 and then moving up to 12 and eventually a full circle with a step, where the only focus was to finish looking like a hitter does after they have hit a home run (the pose below). That was how she figured out how to get into the position that more resembles Bahl at release. She still works through that progression if she feels like she is leaking forward or her weight is not back enough.

IMG_1839.jpg

Apr 12, 2015
So in short she needs to resist her hips rotating once she lands?
No.

But she shouldn't concentrate on what her hips are doing. That will most likely cause far more problems. Her problem is here:

1655844049533.png

The way her drag foot is going is causing the problems with the hip. She is basically missing any "hip snap" or whatever term you want to use for it. Think of the way her foot and knee are going. That, at a minimum, is going to create an anchor on the hip snapping into the right position.

The solution to this is very simple. Have her concentrate on getting off the side of the drag foot, turning it toe down (shoe laces pointed at the catcher) and driving that back knee into the front knee:

1655844252402.png
1655844272376.png
Combine this with improved front side resistance and she'll jump in speed instantly.

Apr 17, 2019
This makes sense, she’s been told for years when she was younger to slow her hips so her arm could get through. Since switching pitching coaches she was taught to speed her arm up.

So in reality what she should be doing is, what she does in her swing from 9 on and using her hips.

Since this is something she can practice into a net, how many times a week do you think she can work in this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279