Pitch count, pitcher protection and catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't take my word for it, just do the math with respect to time of flight and a little analysis of the results.

Here's a little math help! Home plate to 2B is just a tad under 85 feet. In 1.0 second, the ball travels X feet at the indicated speeds below:

60 mph = 88 feet/sec
55 mph = 80 ft/sec
50 mph = 73 ft/sec
45 mph = 66 ft/sec

Looking at published NFCA showcase data, only 5-10% of all players (not just catchers) average 60 mph throwing overhand. According to NECC even the most efficient catchers lose approx 4-5 mph throwing out of the crouch.

What does this all mean? Transition time, the time from the first pop to the time that the ball is released, is a significant (and the most easily improved IME) component of a catcher's total pop time.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Here's a little math help! Home plate to 2B is just a tad under 85 feet. In 1.0 second, the ball travels X feet at the indicated speeds below:

60 mph = 88 feet/sec = 0.97 s
55 mph = 80 ft/sec = 1.05 s
50 mph = 73 ft/sec = 1.16 s
45 mph = 66 ft/sec = 1.29 s

Looking at published NFCA showcase data, only 5-10% of all players (not just catchers) average 60 mph throwing overhand. According to NECC even the most efficient catchers lose approx 4-5 mph throwing out of the crouch.

What does this all mean? Transition time, the time from the first pop to the time that the ball is released, is a significant (and the most easily improved IME) component of a catcher's total pop time.

Adding in the times for the throws from home to 2nd.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Pop time is a measure of much more than arm speed. However, arm speed or more accurately velocity only has a minimal influence on pop time.
Of course it is!! Just like pitch speed is not just about arm speed and home to first is not about running speed. Once again, I think that you missed the point of my post - it was about relevancy...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So given how the data provided shows that a sub 2 second pop time appears to quite common. And math tells us that a 55mph pitch takes just under .5 seconds from release to glove. It would seem you could conclude that most base bandits only have a mere 2.5 seconds to traverse the 60ft from 1st to 2nd without getting thrown out. So I have to ask; how common is a 2.5 second time running from 1st to 2nd. I know that from home to 1st 2.5 second time is as common as hens teeth. Pardon my skepticism but something just does not add up with these pop times. I just don't see these kids throwing out a Watley, Lowe, or Moultrie.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So given how the data provided shows that a sub 2 second pop time appears to quite common. And math tells us that a 55mph pitch takes just under .5 seconds from release to glove. It would seem you could conclude that most base bandits only have a mere 2.5 seconds to traverse the 60ft from 1st to 2nd without getting thrown out. So I have to ask; how common is a 2.5 second time running from 1st to 2nd. I know that from home to 1st 2.5 second time is as common as hens teeth. Pardon my skepticism but something just does not add up with these pop times. I just don't see these kids throwing out a Watley, Lowe, or Moultrie.

As I was saying, there is time associated with the tag.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
FWIW - From Dave Weaver, NECC

EXCELLENT = 1.6 seconds or less (Olympic Level Catchers)
GOOD = 1.8 seconds (Top College Level catchers)
AVERAGE COLLEGE = 1.9 to 2.1 seconds
AVERAGE HIGH SCHOOL = 2.3 seconds

Dated, but still relevant! Based on my observations, I'd suggest that the average college catcher is sub 2.0
IMO, the reason that there are still stolen bases is:
1) not every pitch is not received in the ideal throwing position
2) pop times don't have an accuracy component
3) even with an accurate throw, there is time between the 2nd pop and the actual tag
4) too many middle IFs receive the ball in front of the bag and then sweep back to make the tag, which takes longer than waiting for the ball at the bag and simply bringing the glove down for the tag.

Also worth noting that baserunners are in motion/have momentum before they leave the bag (i.e., they are not starting from a dead stop, which is how the 20 yd times are usually measured) and, despite what blue will say, some baserunners leave early.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose