Pitch count, pitcher protection and catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
As long as we are talking catcher pop times:

The "standard" I have seen (catcher on one of DD's SB years) was an exposure event published pop time of 1.66.

Take that for what it's worth but I will say that I went to every game that this TB-A team went to around the nation and I do not remember a single successful steal off her (counting only pitches that were caught of course). Her raw skills were a thing of beauty only to be squashed by a sh_tazz attitude.

Not sure what the BIG D1 catchers pop times are but I can't help but think they are any better than this (does somebody have data on BIG D1 pop times they can share?)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
As long as we are talking catcher pop times:

The "standard" I have seen (catcher on one of DD's SB years) was an exposure event published pop time of 1.66.

Take that for what it's worth but I will say that I went to every game that this TB-A team went to around the nation and I do not remember a single successful steal off her (counting only pitches that were caught of course). Her raw skills were a thing of beauty only to be squashed by a sh_tazz attitude.

Not sure what the BIG D1 catchers pop times are but I can't help but think they are any better than this (does somebody have data on BIG D1 pop times they can share?)

More than half the catchers I've seen with very good showcase pop times would be subject to a catchers obstruction call in a real game with a swinging batter. 1.66 is extraordinary - I've never heard of a 1.5. However, I see too many catchers, including top D1 gals, setting up to throw in a runners on situation such that they decrease their blocking effectiveness.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Catchers regularly attain pop times of 1.6 - 1.8 in showcase environments for the same reason pitchers never give up a big hit or even a walk in the bullpen. Pop times are meaningless. Tell me what percent of runners attempting to steal are thrown out. Everything else is windows dressing.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Once again - I never intended to get into an argument about the value of pop times when I started this post. It was a question about the attention to pitcher's arms as opposed to catcher's arms.

That being said, I don't think that you can dismiss pop times as irrelevant. They are a measure of arm speed. Just like radaring a pitcher's speed is not irrelevant. Or timing a baserunner's speed out of the box to first is not irrelevant. It is merely an instrument of measurement in which to compare players. Of course situational play and how the player reacts is more important. But these baselines are important as well...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Once again - I never intended to get into an argument about the value of pop times when I started this post. It was a question about the attention to pitcher's arms as opposed to catcher's arms.

That being said, I don't think that you can dismiss pop times as irrelevant. They are a measure of arm speed. Just like radaring a pitcher's speed is not irrelevant. Or timing a baserunner's speed out of the box to first is not irrelevant. It is merely an instrument of measurement in which to compare players. Of course situational play and how the player reacts is more important. But these baselines are important as well...

Pop time is a measure of much more than arm speed. However, arm speed or more accurately velocity only has a minimal influence on pop time.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose