Pitch count, pitcher protection and catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
As I am watching the Little League World Series, I find it very interesting how the commentators keep talking about pitcher protection. About how even though the pitchers are protected by the number of pitches they are allowed to throw, the rule doesn't go far enough because they are then allowed to play another position - therefore forcing them to throw more. One commentator even went as far as to say that the coach was being irresponsible by not taking the pitcher out all together. I have heard similar comments in softball.

As a mother of a catcher, it always amazes me how nothing is mentioned about the number of throws a catcher is making. Typically a catcher is in for the full game, throwing back to the pitcher after every pitch, in full gear, from a squat and the good ones are also throwing to various bases to try and catch a baserunner sleeping. And in the case of softball catchers, they are throwing overhand every time while the pitcher is throwing underhand.

Just wondering about your thoughts on this...

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
LLBB has a rule that addresses this. I can't remember for sure, but it has something to do with the pitcher not being able to move to the catcher position in the same game, but not the other way around. The reason is that they don't want a tired arm continuing to throw a lot of balls after X amount of pitches.

While catchers do make a lot of throws during a game, they aren't throwing full speed with spin and putting undo stress on their arms.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I worry less about a catcher's arm and more about their legs and knees (speaking as a former catcher). It's a brutal position in the heat, loaded down with gear, so dehydration is always a concern too.

Going from softball pitcher to a field position doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. You'll be using a different throwing technique entirely (presumably, anyway) and probably only going to make another half-dozen throws at most. Unless your replacement is really getting hit hard.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
SMDDAD: I agree that they don't throw every ball back at full speed, but the good ones are snapping back to the pitcher, trying to get a baserunner off balance. Or in my daughter's case she is throwing that hard from her knees, therefore she is using all arm and core (she is 15 and has a 1.82 POP from her knees)....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
SMDDAD: I agree that they don't throw every ball back at full speed, but the good ones are snapping back to the pitcher, trying to get a baserunner off balance. Or in my daughter's case she is throwing that hard from her knees, therefore she is using all arm and core (she is 15 and has a 1.82 POP from her knees)....

How often are runners getting on base where your DD has to throw hard? Maybe need to upgrade the pitching. If she truly has a 1.82 pop form her knees at age 15 I seriously doubt many are trying to steal anyway. I would not lose sleep over this. Kids are much more resilient than the helos think. :)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
How often are runners getting on base where your DD has to throw hard? Maybe need to upgrade the pitching. If she truly has a 1.82 pop form her knees at age 15 I seriously doubt many are trying to steal anyway. I would not lose sleep over this. Kids are much more resilient than the helos think. :)
Not bragging, just speaking the truth - she has been clocked at showcases by college scouts. I am just curious about the lack of concern for catcher's arms.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not bragging, just speaking the truth - she has been clocked at showcases by college scouts. I am just curious about the lack of concern for catcher's arms.

As to catchers and injuries I am much more concerned with the thumb on the catching hand than I am with too much throwing. If their mechanics are sound and common sense is exercised it should not be a problem.

I always found it interesting that folks seem to be very quick to put arbitrary restrictions on activities related to competition in the name of safety. Yet there seems to be little interest in what goes on during practice sessions. I have seen where the same coaches that advocate strongly for hard pitch counts often have no issue with the same pitcher throwing BP for 30-45 minutes straight.

FWIW - I have had some very elite catchers over the years, and with each of them the mind gives out well before the body. That in and of itself is a great reason to rotate your catchers and keep them fresh.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

If your dd played on a team with 3 catchers and they only caught every third game how long would she stay on that team? If you are worried about your dds arm you have the power to protect it. Put her on a team that doesn't need her to catch as much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose