People behind the plate calling out where the catcher is set up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2023
I don't think I have ever seen it happen and I don't think I would really care if it happened. When my kid was younger, her catchers weren't great and her spots were knees and shoulders of the catcher. I'm somewhat with GunnerShotgun on calling the pitches out loud. My kid has pitched many games where she was calling her pitches from the mound. Touching her left ear for a curve, right ear for a screw, forehead for a rise, etc. We didn't quite have the Greg Maddox signals figured out!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This has happened at many levels an is a sign of a parent be so insecure in their player's or team's ability that they have to inject themselves into the game. While I understand the fundamental of setting up with a good target, teach your pitchers to be able to throw to locations other than the mitt. For example, throwing pitches off of the catcher's left or right ear. In this way, a catcher can set up with slight left-right alignment and the pitcher can bring a pitch inside to that ear location making that parent look bad. If that parent misses enough times, they will shut up.

I have mentioned this before but when my dd was learning to pitch, we set up those orange cones of various heights with softballs on top of the cones. I would call out a cone and she would do her best to knock the ball off of the cone. In that way, she could control both sides of the plate. It didn't matter where the catcher was if she could focus on a location off of the catcher or umpire's body.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
When 16U and older pitchers can throw over 60 mph the game changes. I agree with setting up should be late and very minimal but setting up outside and throwing up and in a few times should fix the problem.

May 29, 2015
So anyone that yells anything from the stands is a coach? You better get way bigger dugouts then because you are going to have to put them all in the dugout.

Everyone is yelling stuff from the stands, and no they are not coaches.

That is not what I said. People can yell all kinds of things. They can yell them at all kinds of times. If you are consistently yelling specific instructional information intended to benefit your team in specific situations, then you are coaching.

I don't care how big the dugout is or is not. I didn't build it and I didn't write the rule that says coaches and players must stay in it.

If they only want to yell at their kid, I have a different view.

Oct 13, 2017
That is not what I said. People can yell all kinds of things. They can yell them at all kinds of times. If you are consistently yelling specific instructional information intended to benefit your team in specific situations, then you are coaching.

I don't care how big the dugout is or is not. I didn't build it and I didn't write the rule that says coaches and players must stay in it.

Quit digging, Blue. Take your “L” on this one and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008

Hmm, so yelling things from the stands at players that aren't your child is coaching, but yelling at your own child is not? And how exactly do you determine the parentage at any given point in the game?

Do tell, exactly how many spectators have you sent to the dugout in your career? Not coaches, spectators. Yes, I have sent coaches back to the dugout on several occasions but never have I attempted to twist the rule into something it is not.

Jul 19, 2021
Hmm, so yelling things from the stands at players that aren't your child is coaching, but yelling at your own child is not? And how exactly do you determine the parentage at any given point in the game?
Why do you keep over generalizing his statements? He didn't say yelling "things", he said "If you are consistently yelling specific instructional information intended to benefit your team in specific situations, then you are coaching."

And he is correct so I'm not sure why you continue to put words in his mouth and ignore the specificity of his statements. Time for you to address his specific statement. Then it's a discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maddadlopez