People behind the plate calling out where the catcher is set up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
Is this a common occurrence. Seems like very poor sportsmanship to me. But I guess a lot of folks think it is just part of the game. What say you.

Jun 22, 2008
Umpire has no authority over people in the stands. There is also nothing in the rules that says anything about even players tipping the batter to catcher or pitch location. How many times you seen a runner on 2nd base signaling to the batter? Nothing to be done about it except just hit the ball and play ball.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Is this a common occurrence. Seems like very poor sportsmanship to me. But I guess a lot of folks think it is just part of the game. What say you.
Not a common occurrence, but some people are just trash.

I'd just call for an inside-and-up pitch, set up outside and then as late as possible or on pitch release I'd slide inside.

Also - and let me say this again for those who can't hear - your catcher doesn't need to setup anywhere but at the point of the plate. They can reach ANY strike from right there. There is ZERO need to setup inside or outside. I know you 'saw in MLB' but junior softball isn't MLB

And yes, the umpire has zero control authority over the crowd. That is the UIC or Tournament/Site Director. Maybe they would do something about it if told, but I doubt it. It isn't against any rules.

Mar 8, 2017
Umpire has no authority over people in the stands. There is also nothing in the rules that says anything about even players tipping the batter to catcher or pitch location. How many times you seen a runner on 2nd base signaling to the batter? Nothing to be done about it except just hit the ball and play ball.
The umpire has complete discretion to suspend a game until "unruly" spectators are removed. A parent tipping pitch location behind the backstop is completely unethical and nothing like players doing it from second base, which could also have consequences for those players if the team chooses to play that way.

Jul 19, 2021
Sounds like you were at a 8u,10u, or 12U game. I could see it happening at those age levels. Parents generally chill out by 14u.

You were likely hearing someone whose house has wheels. Don't sweat it. Karma has their number already.

Jun 22, 2008
Unruly? Yelling out catcher location is being unruly? Ok.

Believe what you want, telling you the umpire has zero authority over the stands. Anything outside the playing field is outside their authority. That is the tournament directors responsibilities.

Mar 8, 2017
Unruly? Yelling out catcher location is being unruly? Ok.

Believe what you want, telling you the umpire has zero authority over the stands. Anything outside the playing field is outside their authority. That is the tournament directors responsibilities.
Yes, interfering with the game is unruly behavior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maddadlopez