USSSA Coaches Card?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
A couple of weeks ago my DD is guesting for another team in our org. They are missing their 2nd coach, so the head coach is all alone. I am in my coaches shirt (I am AC on my DD team.) sitting right next to the dugout doing GC.

Popup behind the plate lands on the HP Umps bag sitting up against the backstop (in play). The other teams AC repeatedly bitches at the HP ump that his bag is in play and caused the catcher to not make a play on the ball (I don't believe she would have made the play either way). Inning ends that the AC (now the 1B coach) then starts bitching at the Field ump until he gets tossed. A parent from the bleachers runs through the dugout and onto the field to 1b coach. He starts bitching and maybe 1/2 a batter later, he gets tossed.

A batter or so later our HC makes a remark under his breadth. HP ump hears and HC gets tossed. So, I jump up and get in the dug out. The HP Ump asks me where my USSSA Coaches Card is? I've never heard of this. I say, "I don't know what that is. I am an AC on another team in the Org." ump looks at my "coaches Shirt" and says, "Oh, you have a coaches shirt on. You are OK."

Can anybody explain what a coaches card is? I assume ump was making it up because he did not want another Random person involved.

Thanks.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
That team and HP umpire was a hot mess. The umpire must think he's in a TournamentUSA event.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
He could have meant background check (you actually do get a card in the mail when you send in your $11, um...I mean, when you "pass"). And you really are only supposed to be on a field if you've passed your background check and completed SafeSport certification.

And technically, only coaches who are rostered with that team should be in the dugout, but...

Sep 19, 2018
First, what is a coach’s shirt and can I buy one at Target?
Something like this with our name and logo. It seems a lot of teams / coaches has shirts that look a lot like this in our area.
That team and HP umpire was a hot mess. The umpire must think he's in a TournamentUSA event.
Yes they were. Their head coach was nice but maybe needed to take more charge.

Jun 8, 2016
Something like this with our name and logo. It seems a lot of teams / coaches has shirts that look a lot like this in our area.
Ok not at target but customlink.

Somewhat related, DD’s TB HC is an AC at a local D2 and does some scouting for them. I saw him during the HS season at a tournament and during our conversation he mentioned he was surprised to see me paying to go to a game (I didn’t I parked a mile away and snuck in the back) at which point he also mentioned that as long as he was wearing a shirt with his college’s logo on it and mentioned he was there to look at a player they let him in free..💡😉

Dec 11, 2010
Ok not at target but customlink.

Somewhat related, DD’s TB HC is an AC at a local D2 and does some scouting for them. I saw him during the HS season at a tournament and during our conversation he mentioned he was surprised to see me paying to go to a game (I didn’t I parked a mile away and snuck in the back) at which point he also mentioned that as long as he was wearing a shirt with his college’s logo on it and mentioned he was there to look at a player they let him in free..💡😉
Props needed for free admission:
1) Shirt with a collar.
2) Cargo shorts
3) Tennis shoes with socks. (Flip flops are a dead give away.)
4) A backpack. A bucket is better but if you are busted, it’s an obvious sign of espionage.

I tested this theory pretty hard when I was actually coaching. I’m confident in it.

Aug 25, 2019
Going back to the other part of this situation, what is the thing on umpire stuff on the field? I usually hang my metal water bottle in the fence or lay it on the ground at the backstop if the Dugout opening is down the line. I never had it happen but what is the ruling if a ball hit the bottle? A ball off the bat is a foul ball but a wild pitch or a off target throw to the catcher hits the bottle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812