Noise Makers in dugout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In response to yelling when the pitcher throws, we had a situation like that with a particular city that we played against a few years ago. This was in a Dixie League game so I referenced this rule to get the umpire to make them stop. I'm all for the girls cheering, i've grown to find it really amusing and i think it adds to my enjoyment whether i'm watching or coaching, however, there is no cause for yelling right when the pitcher releases the ball to try to mess her up. I'm not sure if such a rule exists in the other sanctioning bodies, but this particular rule is in the chapter on pitching.

6:06 (E) — NO PLAYER, MANAGER, OR COACH SHALL CALL TIME, EMPLOY
ANY OTHER WORD OR PHRASE, OR COMMIT ANY ACT WHILE THE
BALL IS ALIVE AND IN PLAY FOR THE OBVIOUS PURPOSE OF TRYING
TO MAKE THE PITCHER COMMIT AN ILLEGAL PITCH. NOTE: “No pitch”
shall be declared, and a warning issued to the offending team. A repeat of this type
act by any member of the team warned shall result in the offender being removed
from the game.

There is, but that is not the purpose or reason for the rule.

Mar 15, 2011
Every team I have seen has 10-13 noise makers in the dugout. Not sure how, outside of an air horn, how it would make much of a difference.

We played a team 4 times last year (2 times during our league, 1 time in the league tourney and once at a tournament that we both just happened to be at) the players would line the fence and yell just as the opposing pitcher was releasing. My DD pitched 3 of those game and won them all. At the end of the league tourney, which was the end of our season. Their coach approached my daughter to ask her if she would go to 2 tournaments with them. My girl said no thanks, I don't like how your team screams at the other team's pitchers and I wouldn't want to be associated with that. She pulled that off with a smile and a polite tone of voice.

Looks like you've raised your DD well. Lots to be proud of there.

Legal or not it lacks class to say negative things, yell during pitches, or use noisemakers as a participant in a sporting event. Period. You can't control your fans, but anyone that's part of the team or coaching staff should be more honorable than that. IMHO

May 22, 2010
If the other team wants to stand and cheer for there team or heck yell as the pitcher is pitching I have no issue with that as that is part of the game IMO. But the noise makers in a way did the job as my girls were now focused on the stupid clapper thing and trying to figure out how to get even and some emptied water bottles and started running them up and down the fence untill I told them to stop.

Jan 31, 2011
I really like what one opposing team did one the game. After all of their players congratulated us in the circle, they came over to the entrance to our dugout and created a "bridge" with their arms so our players could walk under it as we went back to our dugout. I kept thinking to myself, what a first-class organization they are.

Oh man, you really hit a nerve with me on the bridge thing. THey usually clap and chant something like "we are proud of you" over and over. It is total unsportsmanlike, in my opinion. How about the "Bad News Bears" chant,, "2-4-6-8-who do we appreciate..." Same thing.

My first year of 10U TB we suffered the "bridge" just once. Then I told the girls never to let the other team demoralize you like that. We never allowed a team to do that again. One parent though it was "cute". I said how about if we are in ASA State and we lose the championship game by 1 run and the team does that to us, would it be "cute" then?

Sorry, but that is rubbing it in.

Mar 13, 2010
Don't you do cheers at the end of the game for the other team? That's done every game here. (for example 'three cheers for oppisition' then 'three cheers for umpires, spectators, scores' then three cheers for us. Then everyone goes shakes hands. Or my favourite 'them, blues, us' with claps in between) If it wasn't done it would be considered HIGHLY rude.

The bridge thing is rude though. You do that for your own team, not another.

My funniest memory of this was two years ago. I was umpiring my own grade and the other team were new to the association. They spent the entire game doing the 'wwwOOOOOOOhhhh' whenever the pitcher pitched. They spent the entire game not understanding why her team, myself and their spectators were crying with laughter. As I was signing their sheet I turned to the coach 'Oh, you do realise their pitcher is deaf?' They still did it to other teams but this team got a nice break.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I've always been of the opinion that any post-game activities should take place in the following order:

Game over
Shake hands/high five/acknowledge the opponents existence/whatever; No need for obligatory patronizing cheers.
Celebrate on your own side of the field

Nothing is more depressing then watching one team jump all over the place, high fives fans in the stands, pile on each other in the field while the opposition is standing there waiting on you to finish so they may acknowledge you.

IMO, if I am on the losing side, I'll acknowledge your efforts and fete, but I'm not hanging around in the middle of a field while you act the idiot; Youth is somewhat understandable, but the coaches should have some grip on allowing the opponent a sportsmanlike departure. However, in college and adult sports, amateur or pro, there really is no excuse for not acting like an adult and save the celebration for a few minutes while you acknowledge you opponent.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
The only acceptable 'bridge' I have seen happened a couple years ago after we had
won a tournament. The team we beat for trophy had parents with cowbells and noisemakers.
They were the most obnoxious group of parents I have ever seen

The team that had lost to 'team obnoxious' in the semifinals watched our game made a bridge for our girls
when we returned to the dugout. Other than that, noise makers, yelling at pitch release,
the bridge etc. is bush league and IMHO falls under a broad stroke of unsportsmanlike behavior.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Other than that, noise makers, yelling at pitch release,
the bridge etc. is bush league and IMHO falls under a broad stroke of unsportsmanlike behavior.

Interesting. IMO, it's all about INTENT. If a team at the end of the game was sincere in congratulating our team and created a bridge, I have no problem with that and shows respect for my team. Yelling at the opposing batters vs creating a bridge are two totally different actions and I wouldn't lump the two together. By the way, my example of the bridge was at a 8U all-star tournament. Also, it was customary for the players to gather in the circle and do what I call the "chicken dance" and sing. The players love it. I agree that it depends on the age of the teams you are playing. It's a little unfortunate that as the players get older and the game more serious that some of this sportmanlike behavior and pure joy of the game gets lost...

Jan 31, 2011
My example of the "bridge" was like if Michigan (football) were to ever beat Ohio State again, they would make a bridge! lol. Sorry any UM fans, just had to say it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA