NFL and painkillers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I remember reading an article about pain killers in women's college softball several years ago. One of the Pac 10 schools had a physician that traveled with the team handing out pain pills left and right. I think he was nicknamed Dr. Feelgood. After the scandal broke, the head coach lost her job.

Last weekend my dd played in an 18U open tournament. Unfortunately for her team, they were one and done on Sunday. I talked my dd into sticking around and watching the tournament unfold and by the second round of the tournament, the mom's purses started opening up and several players started taking the ibuprofen for muscle pain. Catchers and pitchers were mostly taking the ibuprofen, but several other girls were also observed by my dd and I taking ibuprophen. By the third round of the tournament, I noticed something strange. The mom's purses started opening up and several of the parents started taking ibuprofen for headaches, stress or what have you. Then I thought to myself, that sometimes one and done isn't a bad thing because it didn't promote an overuse injury onset for that day.

I think anyone who takes a pain killer knows what they are doing. It is a choice.

It is kind of like smoking cigarettes. There are warning labels on every pack. Can't imagine many smokers seeing that and saying - "Holy crap these aren't good for me!" We all make choices. Some people do not want to deal with the outcome of those choices. I imagine there were some players back in the day that got shot up without really knowing what they were getting. But more recently no way. Given the ramifications of a positive drug test I cannot imagine an athlete be they college or professional taking something without knowing exactly what they were doing. But then again you can't fix stupid.

Apr 11, 2012
it's everywhere in college sports....boys and girls too....but the NFL has turned many young men into plain ole "junkies".....

if you are a starter in college, those coaches, trainers and doctors do pressure you to "do whatever it takes" to stay on the field and that's been going on for a long time....I can't tell you how many B12 and local novocain shots I took in the clubhouse back in the day....also, they would give us 800mg ibuprophen pills and tell us to go buy some milk and take as many 800mg pills as you could or until you threw up....how screwed up and dangerous is that?....but it would take tendinitis away in 24-36 hours....and staff pitchers wouldn't miss the next start after 120 pitch game by doing it....never got a prescription either, just lots and lots of sample packs.....and then there' was the cortisone injections with the 18 gauge needle, which was "all kinds of fun".....I had 2 in my fours years playing....those things would numb a shoulder and/or knee for a month solid....I refused one as a senior during the season and was given all kinds of guff....

Feb 18, 2014
Cincinnati, Oh.
It's not just sports its modern medicine in general. Taking medication to relieve pain does nothing but trick the brain. It does not resolve the issue. Pain exists for a reason. Treat it, overcome it, deal with it, but don't mask it. I'd say it's lazy but it's really just a product of big business. More money in medicating people then there is in treating them.

-W

Same for "A.D.D". Instead of teaching our children to concentrate; we medicate (lazy parenting). Our son was "diagnosed". It can be very frustrating repeating ourselves all the time, but we refuse to put him on meds. What would his future be if at 11 he's dazed and confused! The longer you're on them the stronger they need to be. Deal with the issues head on. Don't mask'm / fix'm.

Jul 26, 2010
Same for "A.D.D". Instead of teaching our children to concentrate; we medicate (lazy parenting). Our son was "diagnosed". It can be very frustrating repeating ourselves all the time, but we refuse to put him on meds. What would his future be if at 11 he's dazed and confused! The longer you're on them the stronger they need to be. Deal with the issues head on. Don't mask'm / fix'm.

Don't get me started on ADD or ADHD. Humans evolved over millions of years to survive and conquer. . . not to sit sedate inside four walls "doing what they are told" for 8-10 hours a day. Suddenly we find a social problem with individuals who have survival instincts and actions outside of sheeple norms so they are made to be outcast and medicated.

In truth, in many experiments where learning happens in open and interactive environments, the same kids that are normally diagnosed with ADD or ADHD become group leaders and problem solvers. It's interesting how those in control found a way to stifle those who might threaten them later in life at such young ages, no?

-W

Jun 7, 2013
I suspect that, if it was a fad back then, I would have been diagnosed with ADD. I was just a boy with a lot of energy who didn't like being cooped up for so much of my day. After Phys Ed class or recess (my favorite subjects by the way) I'd be able to pay attention quite well. Today I work a high-level professional job but my ADD seems to come back when they make me sit thru long, boring meetings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44