NFL and painkillers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Incredible. NFL Sued by Former Players Who Allege Illegal Use of Painkillers to Mask Injury | Bleacher Report

People may be surprised how much the use of pain killers exists in college softball, too. I cringe when I hear that a young lady is receiving an injection, so that she can still play and overcome back pain. Also, a mom was telling me that she was trying to get her catcher daughter to a chiropractor on Memorial Day, so that she would be able to catch. I said that her daughter needed rest and she looked at me like I was nuts.

Many years ago, when I was still playing, a 20 something opposing pitcher, got an injection during a game. (That was the only time, I have seen that.)

Hearing former NFL athletes talk about getting sleeping pills, so they could go to sleep anywhere, is what really got me thinking about this. Some of the girls that are on my Twitter account talk about their sleeping pills. Yikes.

I can't imagine what the basketball and soccer athletes might go through, in order to play the game at a high level.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
It starts so young these days. My DD has inherited my DW's migrane issue so she gets Motrin prior to each tourney day to just help prevent it. Then there is the constant ice treatments, massage and whatever else to keep my little catcher going. However, if it got to the point of sleeping pills, legit pain killers and that level it's just not worth it.... unless there are all those zero's on the end of the check.

Those athletes ran out of money and are now faced with debilitating injuries and nothing in the way of medical or financial support. It's sad that both the NFL and those athletes sold their souls but most people for 10's of millions would sell a lot more for that money.

There's not a million dollars in softball for 99.9% of our DD's so there needs to be a limit to what you push through.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Even in competitive slow pitch, if I dared to say "my leg aches," a certain lady would hand out Tylenol 3s. I would refuse, but most did not.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Even in competitive slow pitch, if I dared to say "my leg aches," a certain lady would hand out Tylenol 3s. I would refuse, but most did not.

Folks are shocked when I inform them of the penalties for such action. In Florida at the lowest level it is a felony. Possession of 6 or more without a prescription is considered trafficking with a 3 year mandatory minimum. Judge has no flexibility in sentencing. 30 tablets will get you 15 years and if you get caught with 100 we will see you in 25 years. Most folks have no idea what they playing with.

Jul 24, 2013
I think the NFL issue is going to be like the mortgage "scandal" a few people REALLY were screwed in their mortgage. but like 1%, the rest just bought a house they couldnt afford, but hid in the issue of the victims.. There are a few players who were defrauded for lack of a better term about their injuries... and the rest of these guys who made choices to keep the checks coming, are going to ride to court on the wheelchairs of the real victims.

As for youth and college athletes, it is like child actors... parents get invested in the "success" of their kid, vs their long term health and safety. for softball it must be bad...imagine a D1 football player, where there is the possibility of REAL $... those parents are really prone to being predatory with their kids...

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Folks are shocked when I inform them of the penalties for such action. In Florida at the lowest level it is a felony. Possession of 6 or more without a prescription is considered trafficking with a 3 year mandatory minimum. Judge has no flexibility in sentencing. 30 tablets will get you 15 years and if you get caught with 100 we will see you in 25 years. Most folks have no idea what they playing with.

I thought in Florida they just shot you if you are suspected of a crime or happen to be a German tourist?

On the topic-this is ridiculous, they made their choices, now live with them. Sandy Koufax retired early at the height of his career in order to have the ability to actually have use of his arm, professional sports players make their own choices and should not be allowed to sue unless someone strapped them to a table and injected them.

They should do what they do best and just resort to crime to pay the bills as they age.

Feb 22, 2013
I remember reading an article about pain killers in women's college softball several years ago. One of the Pac 10 schools had a physician that traveled with the team handing out pain pills left and right. I think he was nicknamed Dr. Feelgood. After the scandal broke, the head coach lost her job.

Last weekend my dd played in an 18U open tournament. Unfortunately for her team, they were one and done on Sunday. I talked my dd into sticking around and watching the tournament unfold and by the second round of the tournament, the mom's purses started opening up and several players started taking the ibuprofen for muscle pain. Catchers and pitchers were mostly taking the ibuprofen, but several other girls were also observed by my dd and I taking ibuprophen. By the third round of the tournament, I noticed something strange. The mom's purses started opening up and several of the parents started taking ibuprofen for headaches, stress or what have you. Then I thought to myself, that sometimes one and done isn't a bad thing because it didn't promote an overuse injury onset for that day.

I think anyone who takes a pain killer knows what they are doing. It is a choice.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I forget if it was HS ball or 18U travel, but one of our pitchers walked up to the bleachers and shouted at her mom, "Do you have a Darvon?" The mom and daughter went over to the first aid kit and started digging around in it. I doubt if they found any Darvon in there, but if my kid needs a pain killer, she needs to be at home.

^The softball team that got busted for pain pills was Wash U and Theresa Wilson.

Jul 26, 2010
It's not just sports its modern medicine in general. Taking medication to relieve pain does nothing but trick the brain. It does not resolve the issue. Pain exists for a reason. Treat it, overcome it, deal with it, but don't mask it. I'd say it's lazy but it's really just a product of big business. More money in medicating people then there is in treating them.

-W

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I forget if it was HS ball or 18U travel, but one of our pitchers walked up to the bleachers and shouted at her mom, "Do you have a Darvon?" The mom and daughter went over to the first aid kit and started digging around in it. I doubt if they found any Darvon in there, but if my kid needs a pain killer, she needs to be at home.

^The softball team that got busted for pain pills was Wash U and Theresa Wilson.

The stupidity of some folks never ceases to amaze me. Here take a Darvon so in 30 minutes you will be pitching it fat down the middle in a foggy narcotic stupor. Oh and don't forget to wear your mask. I would never let my DD pitch without her mask. :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44