Another Seen in a Game This Week:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Team on the road. The opposing pitcher slides her foot to the side in the windup. That foot continues off the pitching rugger onto the side and goes about 4-5 inches. Then, the pitch is completed. When mentioned to the umpire, the comment is that no pitcher keeps their foot on the rubber and that this pitch is legal. It is then mentioned that the pitcher can not take that foot to the side of the rubber no matter what and then deliver the pitch. Umpire says that we need to learn the rules. LOL There is a clear hole starting where the foot is inches off to the left side of the rubber so it is pointed out again that this girl is stepping to the side and that this is illegal. Ump basically says get back to the dugout. This will not be called. Finally, the base ump starts calling it when it gets so obvious that this pitcher is now going beyond that original 4 or 5 inches.

Now, fans are hot and everyone is screaming at the umps. Play at the plate where this pitcher has thrown a wild pitch, the runner at 3rd scores. No throw from the catcher to the plate and runner slides. While trying to get up, the pitcher pushes the runner back to the ground and then steps on her midsection as she heads back to the plate. The plate umpire doesn't say anything. Now it gets hostile. Dugouts are ready to go at in softball if you can believe it. The plate umpire basically says that our team deserves it after causing so much trouble in the game. Can you believe that? That umpire is being written up today. I hope that some action comes from it. I know it won't. (In our HS association, all umpires are rated after each game. When some umpire is written up, they have the right to contest what is said. It can prevent some umpires from getting state tournament games but I don't know that there will be any of those this year.)

Sep 21, 2017
PA
I miss being able to rate umpires. When I was in IL, I knew 90% of my umpires pretty well and gave them honest ratings. If I ever forgot to rate someone, I would typically get an email or text asking me to do so.

Here in PA, there is zero accountability for umpires. It can be frustrating at times.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
Jeez. A problem that could’ve been completely avoided if the ump would’ve just nipped the problem right away. Was this CM?I’ve only been to 2 of Emma’s games so far but I can say the umps been pretty bad on both sides from what I’ve seen.

Glad to hear that your making it to some games!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee