Never seen this. Digging hole in pitcher's circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 30, 2024
We were at a 10u softball tourney. 35-foot plate to rubber distance. An entering pitcher and coach groomed the area in front of the pitcher's plate by actively DIGGING a hole the width of the rubber x 4" deep x 24" long. 4' deep is known as a ball placed in the hole completely disappeared from view. Before the "grooming the pitching lane was flat and firm. I assume the pitcher had issues with the incorrect dragging of her trail foot as she stepped off the rubber.

The umpire asked for a rake and filled the hole. The "digging" coaches immediately came out and re-opened the hole. They said the pitcher needed it to remain that deep. The opposing pitcher was left to deal with the hole or the very soft dirt re-collected in the hole!

When any players grooms the field how aggressive is appropriate and what actions would clash with the spirit of the game? Specific rulings or the umpire's discretion? What recourse, if any, does the lead Umpire have?

I ask this to understand the theory and as a field maintenance person. I understand the "normal wear and tear" of the playing field, but? Diamond clay is not free.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
We were at a 10u softball tourney. 35-foot plate to rubber distance.

An entering pitcher and coach groomed the area in front of the pitcher's plate by actively DIGGING a hole the width of the rubber x 4" deep x 24" long. 4' deep is known as a ball placed in the hole completely disappeared from view.
They dug out the entire 24" length?!

Basically corrupting the entire front of the pitching mound for the other team or any other pitcher.

????‍♀️

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
A 10u pitcher who needs the rubber excavated like that in order to pitch. Needs to be instructed better. This will only hurt her development. Not to mention falling over while trying to field outside of that hole.

Aug 22, 2023
I've seen a 10U pitcher do this to the area immediately where she planted her foot (but not the entire length), but that was in rec ball and the pitcher had never really been trained.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I don't see this lasting long. They're going to rub a lot of people the wrong way and develop a reputation. Curious if the umpires will see them coming up for the next game put a kibosh on it early. If they keep going to the same tournaments, they may find their registrations not accepted.

Jun 18, 2023
I've seen some crappy fields, I guess I could buy an argument where it's better to just dig out a solid spot rather than trying to fill in with whatever loose dirt you can scrape over with your shoe, but if it was relatively flat? what's even the point? When they don't have a good delivery they already roll it a bunch, what happens now, hits the pit?

this is an aside, but it's a related thought..when there is a big hole in front of the pitching plate, do we think it might be beneficial to have the pitcher pitch with heel against it, versus the 'normal' heel on/toes in front stuff? Or would that throw them off too much? (specifically new/10u type pitchers)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach