Monthly Question on the Travel/Youth/Little League 'Team' Pitching Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
I'm going to throw this question out there that I'm sure is asked monthly, if not seasonally. What do you do (or don't) with the youth team pitching coach?

To further explain I'll give an example...

Last night my DD had her first Little League Softball practice. Along with her parents, travel team, and pitching coach DD has no shortage of advice. DD plays in a league that drafts the pitchers first. After a half dozen warm up pitches the coaches thought it would be wise to have her throw batting practice to her teammates. After bruising a few kids they let a coach step in.

After practice on our way to car one of the coaches said Hello to my wife and I and asked if our DD had a pitching instructor and that she was able to help "fix/correct" any of her issues. I think DD has done well up to this point and the team coaches could not be far from that either... other wise why draft her?

Any suggestions for what to do with the youth team pitching coach ?

Jun 24, 2013
I am not sure what the questions is. DD’s HC DD pitches and they work with her. AC’s DD pitches and they work with her. My DD pitches and I work with her, etc. Everyone is on their own. It would be nice to have someone that knew what they were doing but we do not so everyone fends for themselves.

HC will work with new pitchers, they just leave the existing pitchers alone.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
After bruising a few kids they let a coach step in.
I think DD has done well up to this point and the team coaches could not be far from that either... other wise why draft her?
Seems they drafted your DD as a pitcher. Now the coaches 'see some issues' with your DD pitching and offered some help. That's what coaches do they 'coach'.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
You have to decide if they know what they are talking about and you have to decide if you yourself have any understanding of mechanics. If you don't know anything and don't want to get involved let the coach handle it. If you are interested there is plenty of information here that will help you get your daughter started in the right way. In my experience most 'pitching' coaches out there, and this includes the paid ones, don't really understand the pitching motion and will teach 'push down, snap the wrist, hello elbow' mechanics.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
You have to decide if they know what they are talking about and you have to decide if you yourself have any understanding of mechanics. If you don't know anything and don't want to get involved let the coach handle it. If you are interested there is plenty of information here that will help you get your daughter started in the right way. In my experience most 'pitching' coaches out there, and this includes the paid ones, don't really understand the pitching motion and will teach 'push down, snap the wrist, hello elbow' mechanics.
This is good advice. If the pitching coach does not know what they are doing they can cause patterns in your DD's mind and mechanics that are tough to break.

Oct 22, 2009
Figure out if their way to help is "change her mechanics". If that is so, find out if it is different or the same as your DD's PC. If it's different, find out whose is better. If you believe your current PC is a better choice for your DD's mechanics then explain that to the teams PC..

I've found most league teams PC's are just moms and dads whose kids are taking lessons from someone. They wouldn't be my first choice in training my DD.

Jun 24, 2013
From going to DD lessons, reading this board, watching videos, etc. I think I know a little bit about how to pitch. I help some players if I am asked but I really do not know anything about it and probably cause more harm than good.

I reserve the right to screw my DD up, you can mess your DD up.

Feb 7, 2014
My DW did a good job of explaining the situation last night using an analogy...

She grew up riding horses. Traveling with her father from show to show. Never would another individual approach her father and say "Hey, I see your kid needs some help learning how to ride... that's what I do."

When a coach learns there is 'private' instruction being used I would think it's rude to try and override that.

Jojo said it well...

I've found most league teams PC's are just moms and dads whose kids are taking lessons from someone. They wouldn't be my first choice in training my DD.