Low vs High

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It can be real tough at the younger age levels with some of the smaller girls, when the umpire even if they crouch a little, is still looking down at the pitch above the girls head.

I don't actually find they miss low strikes, if anything at this level of like..30% strikes by pitchers, they seem to call almost anything over the plate that doesn't actually hit the plate. I wouldn't call it catcher framing given how few catchers actually catch the ball, but maybe pitcher framing? "That actually looked like a _pitch_ so it was probably good."

For some games, I want them called that way, too! Yes, the strike zone is important, but it's also important that I do not die from boredom.

Jan 20, 2023
As an umpire, this is the worst part of missing up or down for me. I spent many years on a bucket calling pitches, and I know that the coach has a better view of up/down than I do. I don't struggle as much with the ball low in the zone, though I may call a little lower than some. I have to work to lower "my" top of the zone though. I don't think people realize how little feedback we really get to help hone our craft, but I know that what I would consider the top of the zone just isn't called at all. I've asked umpires (who I just watched call behind the plate) how they set the top of the zone and they give the rulebook answer when I just watched them not call a single strike above the belly button.

At my daughter’s school science fair a baseball pitcher had created adjustable strike zone glasses that were so cool.

I was so disappointed he didn’t win. The local rec program is using them for ump training. (It was like VR - a camera fed what was going on into your view that had the superimposed strike zone- which adjusted to the size of the batter).

Feb 24, 2022
My experience is that the zone has gotten consistently lower over the years (shins). We are very surprised when we see a strike called at the bellybutton. But, if the zone is consistant there is nothing to complain about - hitters need to adjust. I tell all of our girls to pay attention where the ump is calling strikes when they are in the field so they know what to expect when they come up to bat. The biggest issue we have is girls saying, "I know the zone" - which is true, but the zone is whatever the ump says it is.

May 13, 2021
I think it is a crying shame that umpires can't just read a rule book and call balls and strikes accordingly. I think a lot of balls up in the zone especially in non-colligate games don't get called just because some umpires don't think they should be strikes. When in all actuality his/her opinion should not matter.

NFHS and USSSA Softball — forward armpit to the top of the knees, any part of ball.

USA Softball — the armpit to the top of the knees; any part of ball.

NCAA — bottom of the sternum to the top of the knees, top of the ball

May 13, 2021
My experience is that the zone has gotten consistently lower over the years (shins). We are very surprised when we see a strike called at the bellybutton. But, if the zone is consistant there is nothing to complain about - hitters need to adjust. I tell all of our girls to pay attention where the ump is calling strikes when they are in the field so they know what to expect when they come up to bat. The biggest issue we have is girls saying, "I know the zone" - which is true, but the zone is whatever the ump says it is.
Saying that about the strike zone is akin to an umpire calling a ball foul that was clearly inside the line just because he wants to, and everyone just saying well the field of play is where the umpire says it is.

Jun 18, 2023
Saying that about the strike zone is akin to an umpire calling a ball foul that was clearly inside the line just because he wants to, and everyone just saying well the field of play is where the umpire says it is.

Which is part of the reason why a pitcher's ability to get a batter to swing and miss is one of the most valuable/informative pieces of information. Was it in the zone? doesn't matter, she missed it. Was it foul? no she swung and missed. Did she hit a soft flare that managed to land just away from all the fielders? no she swung and missed.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Taking this topic to a strategic roster decision.

I've always liked having pitchers on the roster who have different strengths.

Obviously it would be great to have all the pitchers be able to have all pitches working, all spins, all locations, control multiple speeds, aka=all the functioning assortment of pitches to choose from.
But that in most cases does not happen.

Brings this question to DFP...
How then to select a pitching roster?

Me 🙋‍♀️, Prefer a pitching roster that I can strategize with. They don't all have to have the same functional pitches, but they do have to have control and consistency.

Might have a pitcher who can throw a good rise but not effective lower strike zone. Or vice versa. would take one of each of those, and a junker.
* all must have a changeup!

May 29, 2015
I don't argue balls and strikes, but I do believe that a coach typically has a better vantage point of high/low than the plate umpire. From where I usually am, I can clearly see the height of the ball as it crosses the plate.
Sorry, meant to put this one with @mmeece 's post . . . so I will drop my comment on this one below that one.

I wouldn't call it catcher framing given how few catchers actually catch the ball, but maybe pitcher framing? "That actually looked like a _pitch_ so it was probably good."

Good, because that isn't catcher framing. Catcher framing is how well they give us a "frame" to look through to see the plate and the zone. It is how they set up and how they work. Moving around and wiggling and how you catch the ball is all "selling." Framing is about letting us see it, selling is about trying to manipulate the outcome.

As an umpire, this is the worst part of missing up or down for me. I spent many years on a bucket calling pitches, and I know that the coach has a better view of up/down than I do. I don't struggle as much with the ball low in the zone, though I may call a little lower than some. I have to work to lower "my" top of the zone though. I don't think people realize how little feedback we really get to help hone our craft, but I know that what I would consider the top of the zone just isn't called at all. I've asked umpires (who I just watched call behind the plate) how they set the top of the zone and they give the rulebook answer when I just watched them not call a single strike above the belly button.

They don't have a better view, they have a better vantage point. Assuming they can see the plate, they get the side view to use the hitter's full body as a reference point. They are also getting the benefit of a 2D "across the line" view whereas we are looking at a 3D "through the box" view. They are getting the 90-degree rotation of that crappy TV box.

I still do not understand this belly-button thing. Like I said, I can't say it isn't happening, I just have NEVER seen it anywhere I have been. I am really wondering if people are talking about where the catcher is catching it (which would be about right).

Definitely agree on the feedback aspect of umpiring. Particularly on calling balls and strikes.

Do you set your eyes at the top of your zone? You may be too focused on catching the low strikes and leaving yourself looking up (and thus missing) the high ones. Another tactic I use when I feel I am getting "out of calibration" is to use my mask bars to set as references. Kind of like . . .

At my daughter’s school science fair a baseball pitcher had created adjustable strike zone glasses that were so cool.

I was so disappointed he didn’t win. The local rec program is using them for ump training. (It was like VR - a camera fed what was going on into your view that had the superimposed strike zone- which adjusted to the size of the batter).

Now that is interesting!

Jul 22, 2015
They don't have a better view, they have a better vantage point.
True. Although they also seem to think they have a better view sometimes lol.
I still do not understand this belly-button thing. Like I said, I can't say it isn't happening, I just have NEVER seen it anywhere I have been.
So you routinely see strikes called at the true top of NFHS zone (armpits)? I saw maybe 3 strikes that high all year.
Do you set your eyes at the top of your zone? You may be too focused on catching the low strikes and leaving yourself looking up (and thus missing) the high ones.
I think this is exactly my problem. I need to work harder pre-pitch to set the top then work down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831