Liv's swing 11 yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
How possible could he know this? We are speaking of a 11yr old girl someones DD.

Because this is what happens with bat drag.

When the back elbow leaks forward, that forces everything to unfold out front.

If the back elbow stayed in place, then everything could unfold in the correct place.

Oct 12, 2009
The fix is as simple as learning to turn the barrel.

Read the first six pages of the thread .... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/11783-dd-bat-drag.html

11w6f03.gif

She is trying to turn the barrel, but by pulling like crazy with her back elbow.

If turning that barrel with the hands works, it's only because it deactivates the back elbow.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bat drag doesn't help with anything.

It forces her to make contact out front.

'Bat drag' can be used to power a hit a longer distance against sub-par pitching.

Players that face a steady stream of weak pitching can receive positive feedback, in terms of realizing deeply hit balls, from a swing including 'bat drag'.

The issue with 'bat drag' is that it considerably curtails a hitter's odds of succeeding against better pitching. It is a swing mechanic that does not scale.

At the lower levels of the game you'll find coaches, parents, and teammates impressed with big hits realized from a swing containing bat drag. When the team advances to playing at a higher level, the hitters that had a 'bad drag' ridden swing suddenly learn that their swing doesn't scale. They struggle ... painfully ... attempting to obtain the big hits they once had ... yet often come up short. The positive feedback they had when facing lower-end pitching causes them to believe that they are doing something slightly wrong ... when in fact the basis of their swing was never correct in the first place.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She is trying to turn the barrel, but by pulling like crazy with her back elbow.

If turning that barrel with the hands works, it's only because it deactivates the back elbow.

The reason it works is a bit more involved .... the activation of the top hand establishes a connection when one attempts to turn the barrel. For many it is that connection process that causes their elbow to slot.

As for "pulling like crazy" ... it is basically the mentality of a gathering of energy to pull along the length of the barrel that leads to 'bat drag'. 'Bat drag' is an 'action' and not a 'position'. The 'position' you often refer to as 'bat drag' is a 'check point' that suggests that 'bat drag' has 'already' occurred .... you as the instructor then go back and observe the barrel path to take note of whether or not the barrel is indeed being dragged.

Oct 12, 2009
As for "pulling like crazy" ... it is basically the mentality of a gathering of energy to pull along the length of the barrel that leads to 'bat drag'. 'Bat drag' is an 'action' and not a 'position'. The 'position' you often refer to as 'bat drag' is a 'check point' that suggests that 'bat drag' has 'already' occurred .... you as the instructor then go back and observe the barrel path to take note of whether or not the barrel is indeed being dragged.

Pulling down the length of the barrel looks very different; the barrel starts rotating around before the pull starts.

I'm blown away that you don't know this.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pulling down the length of the barrel looks very different; the barrel starts rotating around before the pull starts.

I'm blown away that you don't know this.

I'm blown away that you scam people.

We can play that game all night long. How about instead you keep the discussion on the technical aspects of hitting.

Oct 12, 2009
I'm blown away that you scam people.

We can play that game all night long. How about instead you keep the discussion on the technical aspects of hitting.

LOL.

Stay classy, FFS.

Here's Jeter, the prototypical guy who pulls down the length of the barrel.

DerekJeter_CLow_001_SF.gif

While the back elbow may also leak, this is totally different than bat drag.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I can't tell where the tee is, because I can't see home plate, nor the batter's box. Can you get a better video from the side and the front? Try to stand straight to the side and not at an angle. Even better, would be, get us a video of her hitting front toss.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA