Little League illegal pitching - Umpire question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

In my experience it is just not worth the trouble.

If I think the pitcher is leaping I usually spot it during warm ups, if not I wait until after the inning and chat up the umpire between innings, I go over to the BU and say " maybe it is just me but it looks like she is leaping a little" and I am done. I have brought it to his attention and he can take it or leave it....waaaaaaaaaaay to many pitchers pitch illegal to whine and complain profusely about every one.

Also just enlightened everyone as to why it is $50 to protest at most TB tourneys, if it is going to cost you $50 maybe you would think twice before filing a protest.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
(Be forewarned of my continued crabbiness in this area)

IP is a cancer running through all the arteries of softball. You will be beating your head into a wall if you try to vigilantly fight it just within the game-time scenario (with all the ignorance around it).

If I were to go back to coaching I would take this middle-ground approach I think => In pool play I would talk to the other head coach and state this is what I am seeing and if we meet again in bracket play I WILL become a stickler for the rules. (so there is no surprise at that point). I wouldn't care about leaping because I think there is zero advantage in it.

I would be interested what tournament directors discuss with their umpires about IP's in advance (if any do...?). It would be so wonderful if at the outset of a tournament IP rules were discussed and consistent guidelines would be published to coaches.

Then there are the exposure "things" that occur. (not true meaningful team tournaments). These exposure events are where I have seen the most brutal ignorance of IP's. Funny that the most ignorance to IP's is at the same events attended by the most college coaches.....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz