LLWS 2025 - - - anybody?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I’ve been watching quite a bit. Thought about driving over and watching the PA team, but have been too busy (at least one of the age groups is playing here in the Seattle area).

May 27, 2013
Watching PA vs AZ right now - Arizona pitcher definitely stepping waaay left to try and throw a screwball. Reminds me of Taryn Mowatt. I think they called her for IP - but I was distracted at the time So not sure.

ETA: Haven’t seen her try to throw it again so must have been called.

ETA again: Couple more pitches called illegal - but not as blatant a step to the left as the first one I saw. Must be pretty obvious to HPU since there are no pitching lane lines marked.
Fun game to watch. Two extremely talented pitchers at 12U.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022
My daughter played on the Florida team in the regionals this year. Tons of great competition, and honestly it's an awesome thing for them to experience at this age. She will be eligible one more year so the team members who can return are hoping to try and run it back (and take it further).

Jun 22, 2008
Watching PA vs AZ right now - Arizona pitcher definitely stepping waaay left to try and throw a screwball. Reminds me of Taryn Mowatt. I think they called her for IP - but I was distracted at the time So not sure.

ETA: Haven’t seen her try to throw it again so must have been called.

ETA again: Couple more pitches called illegal - but not as blatant a step to the left as the first one I saw. Must be pretty obvious to HPU since there are no pitching lane lines marked.
Fun game to watch. Two extremely talented pitchers at 12U.
You will never see a pitching lane marked on anything but an NCAA field. They are not field markings in any other ruleset.

May 27, 2013
You will never see a pitching lane marked on anything but an NCAA field. They are not field markings in any other ruleset.
Our HS would line the field with them - probably just to make it look fancy. 😉

Jun 22, 2008
Our HS would line the field with them - probably just to make it look fancy. 😉
Not an NFHS marking and should never be on the field. If the umpires are doing their job they should be erased and the coach instructed not to put them on the field again.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Not an NFHS marking and should never be on the field. If the umpires are doing their job they should be erased and the coach instructed not to put them on the field again.
Should they be dragged out back and shot while they're at it, too?

Lighten up, Francis.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Should they be dragged out back and shot while they're at it, too?

Lighten up, Francis.
So what other markings are you ok with a coach adding to the field? How about a baseball batters box if they are playing a team with a lot of slappers?

Why would a coach add lines not part of the ruleset they are playing under? They shouldn't be there and should be removed.

Jun 29, 2023
I'm sure my daughter, a pitcher, would make sure at least one of those lines was gone during warm-ups.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So what other markings are you ok with a coach adding to the field? How about a baseball batters box if they are playing a team with a lot of slappers?

Why would a coach add lines not part of the ruleset they are playing under? They shouldn't be there and should be removed.
Over the years my daughters have played on all kinds of fields, many of them with non-regulation lines.

For example; many turf fields are multi use, and because more baseball games are played there, they use a 6X4 box instead of 7X3. How many fields have you played in that don't have at least 25' to the backstop? How about fields without pitching rubbers? Many dirt fields don't get groomed between games, so you can have a pit in front of the rubber and in the batters box, no lines anywhere, and grass that hasn't been cut in a month. We've played on fields with no fences, fences set at 300' for mens games, and ones at 190'.

So, if someone adds a pitching lane on a dirt field, I'm not throwing a hissy fit. Should we not have played those games because they weren't regulation in every way?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl