Little League illegal pitching - Umpire question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
LMAFO........ Are you serious??

I have......

Very serious. All the umpire has to say is that he didn't believe she was leaping. Case closed. Protest over

Protest committee: "Here is the rule , ......... Was she doing that?"

Umpire: "No she was not"

Protest committee: "Protest denied"

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Very serious. All the umpire has to say is that he didn't believe she was leaping. Case closed. Protest over

In a tourney situation this would have been over for the pitcher. I have been in many battles with protesting. Yes regular season maybe it would have slide. However in a tourney, like this it would be over. If you know your rule book, you win everytime.

Jan 24, 2011
In a tourney situation this would have been over for the pitcher. I have been in many battles with protesting. Yes regular season maybe it would have slide. However in a tourney, like this it would be over. If you know your rule book, you win everytime.

This one is just going to be the word of the ump vs. the protester. No clear proof of violation. Like I said , protester loses this one

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
This one is just going to be the word of the ump vs. the protester. No clear proof of violation. Like I said , protester loses this one

If you are not satisfied with the ruling on the field it will be called in to the protest committee in whatever region they are in. I do hear what you are saying though.Something like that though you protect and fight for your team until either you win, or it dies. I guess thats just me though. I usually same things like, "for the safety of the kids."

I actually laughed when you typed in Umpire: "No she was not" I can hear our umpire George saying that. LOL

Jan 24, 2011
If you are not satisfied with the ruling on the field it will be called in to the protest committee in whatever region they are in. I do hear what you are saying though.Something like that though you protect and fight for your team until either you win, or it dies. I guess thats just me though. I usually same things like, "for the safety of the kids."

I actually laughed when you typed in Umpire: "No she was not" I can hear our umpire George saying that. LOL

I have been on both sides of protests in LL (both as an Umpire and a Coach). Even when it gets called in to the regional office , there is not going to be any clear cut obvious violation of the rules that will win you the protest. Ump just has to say that pitcher didn't have a violation.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
At the least, you'd probably get to hear the TD get yelled at by someone in Williamsport for not settling this before it got to them. :)

and what if the protester did "win" the protest ( say the umpire admitted she was leaping but thought it was legal to do so)

What would the remedy be?

The rule protest could only be about the last pitch thrown. (PROTESTS INVOLVING PLAYING RULES NOT RESOLVED BEFORE THE NEXT PITCH OR PLAY SHALL NOT BE CONSIDERED)

So, you can't say she's been doing it the whole game. My read on the above means they only want to hear about the last pitch thrown.

There's no specific remedy in the rules regarding protests other than for illegal pitchers or players ( forfeiture or loss of tournament privileges) neither apply here and they're not going to forfeit a game over one pitch.

So you delay the game an hour, and someone tells the umpire to call the pitch in question a ball and move on.

But at least maybe the umpire learned something

May 13, 2012
In our town had game postponed due to coach thinking pitcher was illeagal. Went exactly like someone earlier stated:
Local LL director called. Ruled umpire judgment, Protesting coach not satisfied
Regional LL called. Ruled umpire judgment, Protesting coach not satisfied
Williamsport called. Ruled umpire judgement not illeagal play ball. Protesting coach not satisfied
All this took over 1.5 hrs of suspended game. Protesting coach not satisfied gathered team left field, forfieted.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the least, you'd probably get to hear the TD get yelled at by someone in Williamsport for not settling this before it got to them. :)

and what if the protester did "win" the protest ( say the umpire admitted she was leaping but thought it was legal to do so)

What would the remedy be?

The rule protest could only be about the last pitch thrown. (PROTESTS INVOLVING PLAYING RULES NOT RESOLVED BEFORE THE NEXT PITCH OR PLAY SHALL NOT BE CONSIDERED)

So, you can't say she's been doing it the whole game. My read on the above means they only want to hear about the last pitch thrown.

There's no specific remedy in the rules regarding protests other than for illegal pitchers or players ( forfeiture or loss of tournament privileges) neither apply here and they're not going to forfeit a game over one pitch.

So you delay the game an hour, and someone tells the umpire to call the pitch in question a ball and move on.

But at least maybe the umpire learned something

You just want to prevent if from continuing happening. If you call the IP and then it continues then yea, follow thru with the protest. However if the Ump calls IP in the beginning and it continues to IP then if you have a good Umpire, then he will just call "dead ball" or Ive heard "ball" as well. Just have to be on it and prove your case. Again reading the rule book is your best weapon on any protest.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
When DD was younger & pitching LL All-Stars our state got on the band wagon of "presenting the ball" one year.

DD's pitching coach is very by the book, no short cuts, any little hiccup will be called. DD had an issue with leaping at the beginning of each season, since they throw on the gym floors in the winter due to weather; PC worked to correct it annually.

Back to the "presentation of the ball". LL UIC for our District had his intrepetation of what this meant, above an beyond what the published rules at the time stated. There was something he insisted on seeing or the "presentation" was not correct.

DD gets to pitch a District Final game with UIC behind the plate. 1 st pitch - "illegal" - time called....he goes out to the circle with DD & coach to explain what she needs to do.....he allows her a few practice throws so she gets some idea of how to modify her delivery....game continues. The change in delivery to "present the ball" had no bearing on the outcome of the game.

Just a LL moment in time that came back to me with this thread.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
This has been interesting! first of all, the girl pitching would hop up into the air as she went forward with both feet off the ground at the same time.
I was at the game because my friend was coaching the team and half the team plays for me on another team in a summer league and I was showing support.

This town is always the first town we play in the first round of LL playoffs and they will do anything to win. They have had our town playing fields disqualified as acceptable so we would have to play all games away, they have held up playoff games for 1.1/2 hrs while a phonecall was made to our regional HQ to settle a spurious protest issue which they would not win, they have had their own umpires (ie drinking buddies) show up to officiate at games where they were not the home team but the game was held in their town, etc. in all sports, they are known for the poor sportsmanship of the parents. This Saturday, my DD will be playing the same town in the first round of her Jr All-Star game, and I wanted to see if everything was on the up and up, based on the colorful history.

By LL rules, each illegal pitch would be called a ball. If the pitcher is pitching illegally and the batters are having strikes called instead of balls, this could have an impact on the outcome of game, especially 3rd strikes. If the pitcher can't pitch any other way, then it's their coaches fault for not correcting.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz