LLWS 2025 - - - anybody?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Over the years my daughters have played on all kinds of fields, many of them with non-regulation lines.

For example; many turf fields are multi use, and because more baseball games are played there, they use a 6X4 box instead of 7X3. How many fields have you played in that don't have at least 25' to the backstop? How about fields without pitching rubbers? Many dirt fields don't get groomed between games, so you can have a pit in front of the rubber and in the batters box, no lines anywhere, and grass that hasn't been cut in a month. We've played on fields with no fences, fences set at 300' for mens games, and ones at 190'.

So, if someone adds a pitching lane on a dirt field, I'm not throwing a hissy fit. Should we not have played those games because they weren't regulation in every way?
The comment I replied to was specifically about a HS field and coach. Never have I umpired a HS game on a multi use field and I would never allow a game to be played without a pitching plate.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The comment I replied to was specifically about a HS field and coach. Never have I umpired a HS game on a multi use field and I would never allow a game to be played without a pitching plate.
Where I live, weather plays a factor, and sometimes HS games get played on multi-purpose turf fields. The owners of those fields have the pitchers plate painted on the turf rather than nail one down. You have to make due with what you can.

May 27, 2013
Not an NFHS marking and should never be on the field. If the umpires are doing their job they should be erased and the coach instructed not to put them on the field again.
Not one umpire over the course of my DD’s four years ever said or did anything about it, nor did an opposing coach complain. They had a designated grounds crew that prepared the field, not the coach. Those lines were pretty much gone by the second inning anyway.

Now it was a private school which utilized PIAA umpires who I assume follow NFHS rules. Not sure why they never said anything about it.

ETA: I was actually serious when I said the grounds crew were probably trying to make it look fancy. They always went OTT to make the playing fields look nice.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023
No, my daughter coaches her, and the team is a high-level rec ball team.
That really surprises me. My kids don't play LL but in our area it's well known that nearly all the LL All-Stars are travel players who are just playing softball six times a week. But cool for them!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That really surprises me. My kids don't play LL but in our area it's well known that nearly all the LL All-Stars are travel players who are just playing softball six times a week. But cool for them!
It could be a difference in what we call it. I call travel ball when you stay in hotels for your tournaments, and even fly there. I call rec ball local tournaments that you sleep in your own bed during the event. Her team is the latter. They do travel a few times a year, hence why I called it a high-level rec ball team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl