Little League Bans Composite Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would say that the bats show up used, after a short time period every now and then. People order them, the kid can tell by the 1st swing that she doesn't want it and the dad lists it for sale, at a loss.

I don't know of any women that are into bats and gloves, but I know men that collect bats by the 100s.

I deal on http://www.softballfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5 90% of the folks there are slow pitch guys, but if they have DDs, they will list on the fastpitch side or check for bats under the manufacturers name or bats for sale.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I would say that the bats show up used, after a short time period every now and then. People order them, the kid can tell by the 1st swing that she doesn't want it and the dad lists it for sale, at a loss.

I don't know of any women that are into bats and gloves, but I know men that collect bats by the 100s.

I deal on Open Fast Pitch Board - SoftballFans.com 90% of the folks there are slow pitch guys, but if they have DDs, they will list on the fastpitch side or check for bats under the manufacturers name or bats for sale.

Thanks Amy. I guess my point is that no one really knows how many hits a bat has on it unless its brand new. My DD only uses her bat for hitting when I am around, whether its during practice, hitting stick, batting cages, game use, or hitting lessons and I cannot tell you with any kind of reasonable certainty how many hits she has on this bat. Bottom line is buyer beware when buying used bats, they probably have many more hits on them than advertised.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Right. You need very good pictures and you need to deal with a person that has reliable deals. Plus, now, we have to worry about whether the used bat has been doctored or not.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
So...if the bats are banned due to a measurable degree of rebound, under what criteria do they grant a waiver?
Establishing that the bat won't exceed 1.15 after a specified break-in period?

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Do you really think the cf4 compares with the rocke techs? especially the older ones??

Is LL Majors still at the small diamond (baseball) and pitching from 46 feet? That might be the reason for not allowing composites at that age. By the way, that CF4 (softball) is the hottest bat that I have ever been around.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, DD owned the original Rockettech and I never saw a ball come off of it, like I saw one come off a CF4, with an 11 YO swinging it, this summer. But, I don't have any scientific info. The CF4's handle is too small for me and I haven't owned one.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
On the Internet you can send your bats in to be doctored or buy a doctored bat. Their disclaimer is that these are for Home run derbies only, not game play. :)

From a layperson’s perspective how can you tell it is a composite bat? Can you tell it has been altered?

Jul 28, 2008
On the Internet you can send your bats in to be doctored or buy a doctored bat. Their disclaimer is that these are for Home run derbies only, not game play. :)

From a layperson’s perspective how can you tell it is a composite bat? Can you tell it has been altered?

Yes, you can do this. However, when someone gets seriously injured, the bat is confiscated and checked to see if it's been altered. They can tell the difference in the lab between a bat that's been rolled and one that's been broken in naturally. They will also check to see if the bat is beyond what's approved for the sanction of play. If it's been altered or too hot, you're in for a lawsuit and possible charges. There are guys who play slow pitch with altered bats that have been sued by ASA for huge amounts of money for altering bats.

If the risk is worth it for your little Susie to hit the ball 20' further compared to hurting another child on the opposing team, than go ahead and take it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You generally can't tell, just by looking at the bat. Sometimes, there are pry marks on the end cap, though - or a sharpie has been used to repaint the pry marks.

I suspected my own teammates when these 65 YO females, used one specific Demarini and their weak half swings, were hitting lasers to the fence.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If the risk is worth it for your little Susie to hit the ball 20' further

My little Susie has a non altered $20 bat, she hits fine with it.

I was interested from a Manager/ Umpire perspective how to enforce the rule.

As Amy said altered bats are hard to detect, OK.

To know the composite bats do I need to know the entire brand names/ bats?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish